Revs concede equalizer late, draw Dynamo

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- For all the positives the Revolution have accomplished this season after last season's struggles, there have been times when the ghosts of 2011 reappear.

On Saturday, one of those ghosts came back to haunt them.

In a scene reminiscent of last season, the Revolution conceded a late-game equalizer and were forced to settle for a 2-2 draw to the Dynamo.

"In this game, you take one misstep and someone's in," Revolution midfielder Ryan Guy said. "Someone gets a good touch and a good shot. Unfortunately, it happens."

Despite the late-game disappointment, the Revolution managed to put themselves in a position for three points by staying within themselves and sticking to their game plan.

That game plan? Stay patient and exploit the few opportunities granted by the organized and compact Dynamo defense.

New England seized the first opportunity midway through the first frame when Chris Tierney crossed it into the area toward a closely marked Saer Sene -- a little too closely, as it turned out, when Sene was brought down by Brad Davis inside the box.

Referee Baldomero Toledo pointed to the spot, and Sene -- rather than club captain Shalrie Joseph, the usual choice -- buried it to put the Revolution on top in the 26th minute.

"In practice, (Shalrie) and I shoot the penalty kicks," Sene said. "I told him 'Let me keep it.' And he let me take the penalty kick, and I scored."

But Sene's strike from the spot didn't hold up for long. With the Dynamo slowly moving the ball and keeping possession, Davis found a measure of redemption shortly after the half-hour mark.

On a free kick from the depths of the midfield, the set-piece specialist whipped a precise pass that found Will Bruin in the box, where the Dynamo striker snuck it through at the far post to make it one all in the 32nd minute.

"It's a big strength of theirs," Soares said of the Dynamo's set pieces. "They're good at it. So it's understandable that they scored one. But we just have to look at the film and we have to be a little bit better, a little bit tougher and not let it happen again."

Knotted at 1 going into the second half, the Revolution were ready to hunt for the go-ahead. Although the possession stat (40.3 percent) certainly wasn't in their favor, the Revolution seized another opportunity. And it was Sene who stepped up -- again.

After Blake Brettschneider poked it away from Dynamo defender Geoff Cameron, Sene collected it from midfield and ran at Tally Hall, the only player standing in his way. Looking for his second goal of the game, the French forward whipped his shot and sent it through to regain the Revolution lead in the 57th minute.

"I ran to the goal first, and then I looked to my right side to see if Blake is here," Sene said. "He wasn't there and I took the chance, shot, and scored."

When Davis exited the match in the 70th minute, the Revolution had to believe that the game was theirs. With the Dynamo's most potent weapon off the pitch, all the hosts had to do is mark tight and stay strong defensively.

But much like it did so often last season, the Revolution defense cracked in crunch time. Off a turnover in the defending third, Luis Camargo played it inside to Brian Ching, who sent it ahead on the give-and-go toward the right post, where a loosely marked Camargo buried it inside the near post in the 87th minute.

"They threw numbers forward," Soares said. "And it was just one play that, as a back line, we weren't quite tight enough and close enough to our men, both [Stephen McCarthy and I. Just one little breakdown over 90 minutes and that's kind of what cost us two points out there."