Coming off their second bye week of the season, the Revolution (5-7-1, 16 points) will return to action this week with the Columbus Crew (5-4-3, 18 points) coming to Gillette Stadium on Saturday.
The conference clash will kick off at 7:30 p.m. and will mark the first of three meetings between the MLS originals during the regular season. The remaining matches are set for Aug. 25 (at Columbus) and Sept. 5 (Foxboro).
Last season, the Crew swept their two-game series against the Revolution with a 3-1 win at Columbus on Aug. 13 and a 3-0 victory at Foxboro on Oct. 15.
• Although the Revs-Crew matchup is six days away, their reserve teams met on Sunday in Columbus. Crew midfielder Bernardo Anor tallied the lone goal of the game in the 81st minute to give the hosts a 1-0 win.
• Former Revolution midfielder Ryan Kinne played the full 90 in Sunday's reserve game for New England as a guest player. The Revolution's third-round pick (42nd overall) in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft saw only a single minute of action with the first team last season before he was waived prior to the start of the 2012 season. He subsequently signed with Connecticut FC Azul (PDL).
• Another former Revolution midfielder who made good over the weekend was 2011 third-round (42nd overall) Supplemental Draft pick Andrew Sousa. The 22-year-old Fall River, Mass. native, who signed with Boston Victory (PDL) during the offseason, scored the game-winning goal in his team's 1-0 win over Vermont on Saturday.
• On Friday, MLS opened the fan vote for the 2012 All-Star Game, which will take place on July 25 at PPL Park in Chester, Pa., with 2012 European Champions Chelsea FC as the opponent. The six Revolution players on the fan ballot are Matt Reis, Shalrie Joseph, Lee Nguyen, Benny Feilhaber, AJ Soares and Saer Sene.
• Stats of note: Through 12 games, striker Saer Sene's seven goals is only one goal shy of matching Shalrie Joseph's team-high (8) from last season. ... Soares and Matt Reis are the only two players on the roster who've started each of the team's 13 contests. ... Eleven of the Revolution's next 12 games will feature conference opponents. ... The two remaining regular-season byes for the Revolution will arrive during the weekends of Sept. 8 and Oct. 13, which both coincide with FIFA fixture weekends.