Rapid Reaction: Fire 1, Revolution 0

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- For the fifth straight game, the New England Revolution fell into an early hole they couldn't climb out of, losing 1-0 to the Chicago Fire on Saturday at Gillette Stadium.

Quincy Amarikwa scored in the third minute to put the Revolution on their back heel early, while Sean Johnson collected his second clean sheet of the season. The Revolution found a prime opportunity to equalize from the spot in the 85th minute, but Chris Tierney's shot was denied by Johnson, who preserved the win for his side.

The loss marked the Revolution's fifth in a row, while their record fell below .500 (7-8-2, 23 points). The win allowed the Fire to put the skids on a six-game winless streak (0-2-4), while boosting their mark to 3-4-10 (19 points).

What it means: While Tierney certainly shouldn't be scapegoated for the Revolution's fifth straight loss, his penalty miss was indicative of his team's fortunes on Saturday. After conceding another early goal, they looked keen to equalize in the second half, with opportunities falling to Patrick Mullins and Teal Bunbury. But the Revolution's inability to finish their chances -- an ongoing issue during their five-game losing streak -- once again undermined them against the Fire, who collected only their third win of the season in the process. At some point, the Revolution will figure it out, and find a way to break out of their scoring woes. But conceding early, which put the burden on the offense to respond, certainly didn't work to their advantage for the fifth straight week.

Stat of the match: The third-minute goal from Amarikwa was the sixth first-half goal conceded by the Revolution in their last five. During that span, the Revolution have scored only a single first-half goal.

Dorman returns, but exits early: After serving his one-game suspension against Real Salt Lake, holding midfielder Andy Dorman was back in the lineup. But his night ended prematurely after he suffered a right knee injury midway through the first half. The incident occurred when Bakary Soumare barreled into him just as he was attempting to take a shot from outside the area in the 25th minute. He initially tried to play through the pain, but four minutes later, he had to be helped off the field, with Scott Caldwell taking his spot.

Nguyen's suspension opens door for Rowe: With Lee Nguyen serving a one-game suspension for stomping on John Stertzer in last week's game at Salt Lake, Kelyn Rowe started at Nguyen's spot in the central midfield, and went 65 minutes before giving way to Jerry Bengtson. Last week, Rowe started on the right side of the midfield against Salt Lake.

Bengtson's back: Revolution striker Jerry Bengtson, back from World Cup duty with Honduras, made his first appearance in MLS action since April 27 vs. Sporting Kansas City. Bengtson came on in the 65th minute for Rowe, but failed to register a shot.

Going back to Cali: The Revolution hit the road for a midweek match against the Los Angeles Galaxy at the StubHub Center on Wednesday. Kickoff is set for 10:30 p.m. ET. Wednesday's contest will be the sole meeting between the MLS originals. The last time they met, the Revolution thrashed the Galaxy 5-0 on June 2, 2013 at Gillette Stadium.