Monday, October 15, 2012
Revs keep busy during break
By Brian O'Connell
Major League Soccer was on hiatus this weekend for the FIFA International break, but the action didn’t stop for a collection of Revolution players.
Here’s how a few of them spent the past week:
* Striker Jerry Bengtson went 90 minutes for Honduras in their 0-0 draw to Panama on Friday.
* Midfielder/forward Diego Fagundez came on as a substitute for the Uruguay under-20 squad in its 2-0 win in an international friendly against Peru on Friday.
* Goalkeeper Tim Murray returned to his alma mater on Saturday as he attended to his duties as Providence College men’s soccer assistant coach. With Murray on the sideline, the Friars claimed a 3-2 win over conference rival Pittsburgh.
Other Revolution news and items:
* The Revolution Youth Academy kicked off the 2012-13 U.S. Development Academy schedule on Saturday. The Revs U-16s fell 2-1 to the Albertson SC U-16s in Stony Brook, NY.
* After collecting a franchise-record 10 red cards in 2011, the Revolution are likely to finish with less than half that total in 2012. Through 32 games, the team has collected only three, with one of them -- Fernando Cardenas’ May 5 ejection at Salt Lake -- later rescinded by the league after the team appealed it.
* Goalkeeper Matt Reis is eight saves away from reaching his seventh career 100-save season. But with backup Bobby Shuttleworth starting the team’s last three games, Reis may fall short of the century mark for the first time since an injury-plagued 2010 season.
* Although the Revolution currently sit one goal below their total from 2011 (38), the goals-allowed stat is much improved from last season. With two games to go, the Revolution have allowed 44 goals and are likely to finish well below the 58 strikes they conceded in 2011.
* With the regular season wrapping up, the Revolution already are making plans for the 2013 preseason. For the second straight year, the Revolution will play in the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup preseason tournament beginning on Feb. 13, 2013. Earlier this year, the Revolution earned a spot in the tournament title game before falling in penalties to the Galaxy.