Extended stay planned for Lavarnway

August, 25, 2011
8/25/11
8:19
PM ET
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Now that Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz has returned to the lineup and is healthy, prospect Ryan Lavarnway will see limited playing time but is likely to remain with the parent club for the remainder of the season.

Major League Baseball rosters expand on Sept. 1, so instead of sending Lavarnway back to Triple-A Pawtucket the Red Sox have the room to keep him with the big club.

“We’d like to keep him here,” said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. “If something happened then we may have to return him [to Pawtucket], but I think we’ll just keep him here. It’s not like it’s April and he has 100 at-bats. He’s got a full season under his belt.”

Lavarnway was promoted from Pawtucket and made his major league debut last week. He has a hit in four of the seven games he’s played.

He began the season at Double-A Portland and was promoted to the PawSox on June 13.
During his time with Pawtucket, he hit .301 with 16 doubles, 16 homers, 47 RBIs, 36 runs and 26 walks in 55 games.

Since he’s been with the Red Sox, he’s been working with veteran catchers Jason Varitek and Jarrod Saltalamacchia, along with bullpen coach Gary Tuck.

“I think he’s enjoyed his time. He’s been following Tuck around and following Tek and Salty and going to meetings, so it’s been good for him,” Francona said.

Joe McDonald

Reporter, ESPNBoston.com

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?