Valentine, Crawford brush off trade talk

July, 18, 2012
7/18/12
6:13
PM ET
BOSTON -- Besides the daily injury updates, Boston Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine actually had some other topics to talk about on Wednesday afternoon as the club prepared to face the Chicago White Sox for the third game of their four-game set at Fenway Park.

* Earlier in the day, it was reported that the Red Sox and Florida Marlins were in talks about a possible trade that would involve left fielder Carl Crawford. Red Sox personnel, including Valentine, refuted those reports as nonsense.

“I just heard (about the rumors) coming up the stairs,” the manager said. “I’m not surprised with anything the way stuff is made up and blown up. I’m never surprised.”

Valentine said he thinks these types of rumors could distract the outfielder.

“Sure, sure. Him and the next guy whose name is going to come up tomorrow, and the other guy that is going to come up the day after tomorrow,” Valentine said. “This is the world that we live in. Regretfully you’ve got to survive in it. I think Carl’s tough and he will be fine.”

Crawford was in the lineup for the first time this season on Monday and in his first two games he’s 4-for-7 with four runs scored and three stolen bases. Even Crawford was surprised to hear the rumors.

“I really haven’t heard too much about it,” Crawford said. “There’s really nothing to say about it. You’ve just get to get ready to play every day and when those things come up you just shrug them off.”

It’s safe to say he doesn’t want to play anywhere else.

“I like playing here so far, I’m doing well and when you’re doing well this is the best place to play,” he said.

* After the Red Sox placed DH David Ortiz on the 15-day disabled list with a right Achilles strain, the club recalled Mauro Gomez from Triple-A Pawtucket. This is his third stint in Boston this season. When asked if there was some thought to recall PawSox catcher Ryan Lavarnway, Valentine said, “It seemed like [Gomez] was the guy that was going to fill the bill, and we had no backup first baseman once David left.”

* Clay Buchholz will make his 16th start of the season on Thursday. It’s only his second start since being activated from the DL on July 14 and Valentine said there will be no restrictions for the right-hander.

* Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia will be activated from the DL and be back in the lineup on Thursday against the White Sox. Pedroia says this is the best he’s felt all season and he can’t wait to get back in there and start to rake.

“He said he was ready about four days ago,” Valentine said.

Now that Jacoby Ellsbury and Crawford are back and were successful the first two games of this series batting in the top two spots in the order, Valentine was asked where he thought Pedroia, who normally bats second, would hit in the lineup.

“I don’t know that we’ll have a lineup every day that’s the same, since we haven’t had a lineup that’s the same since the beginning of the year and we’re leading the league in runs scored -- well, we’re one behind Texas coming into today.

“I don’t think you need to worry about where someone is hitting in the lineup. We’ll try to get as good a lineup as we can every day we go out there.”

Joe McDonald

Reporter, ESPNBoston.com

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?