NEW YORK -- Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz canceled his planned exercises in Yankee Stadium on Sunday, making it unlikely that he will return from the disabled list on Wednesday, when he is first eligible to come back.
Ortiz told ESPNdeportesLosAngeles.com that he could neither jog nor bat in New York before the last game of the series between the Red Sox and Yankees, but he keeps receiving therapy on his right heel.
Ortiz said he felt a slight pain in his heel on Saturday and will not perform baseball activities until Tuesday, which practically makes it impossible for him to return on Wednesday. The most optimistic forecast for Ortiz is that he will be ready to return by the weekend.
Ortiz went on the disabled list after straining his right Achilles tendon circling the bases on Adrian Gonzalez's homer on July 16. He took off his protective boot last week and took batting practice Friday for the first time.
On Saturday, he was scheduled to jog in the outfield and perhaps hit, but the rain prevented the Red Sox from working out normally.
"I can't say right now exactly when I'll be ready to play, let's see how the process goes," Ortiz said.
Ortiz has been by far the best Red Sox hitter this season, batting .316 with 23 homers and 58 RBIs. At the time of the injury, Ortiz was in the middle of an 11-game hitting streak, batting .429 during that stretch with 15 hits and 13 walks.
During the absence of Ortiz, Boston has used four players in the DH role, mostly Pedro Ciriaco and Cody Ross.