Beato called up to bolster bullpen

August, 26, 2012
8/26/12
1:05
PM ET
BOSTON -- A day after using seven relievers in a 12-inning loss to the Royals, the Red Sox recalled right-hander Pedro Beato from Triple-A Pawtucket, optioning outfielder Che-Hsuan Lin.

Beato was the player to be named later in the Kelly Shoppach deal with the New York Mets. He had a 10.38 ERA in seven games out of New York’s bullpen and threw three scoreless innings for the PawSox.

(UPDATE: Beato worked two scoreless innings in the sixth and seventh before leaving with the bases loaded in the eighth. He was charged with two runs, but ended up as the winning pitcher.)

Beato will be one of just a handful of pitchers available to Valentine on Sunday. Alfredo Aceves is serving a suspension. Andrew Bailey has pitched in three straight games and Valentine said he will not use him. Junichi Tazawa threw 37 pitches Saturday night. Andrew Miller threw 29 on Saturday after also appearing Friday. Vicente Padilla has pitched in three straight games.

“We brought up Pedro just to make sure the bullpen was all right,” Valentine said. “We were going to throw Franklin (Morales) back there as a just in case and decided that’s not the thing to do. I think we’re all right. We have four guys who are able to go and that should be fine. The only question is what we’re getting out of (starter Felix Doubront) because we haven’t seen him in two weeks.”

* If Doubront is unable to go deep and Valentine runs out of arms, he will be forced to have discussions similar to the ones he had Saturday night when the notion of using a position player to pitch surfaced. Clayton Mortensen was the last available arm when he finished the top of the 12th inning Saturday.

Valentine used outfielder Darnell McDonald, who has since been released, in a game earlier this season. He was prepared to take a similar route again, if needed.

“Yes, we had sent Felix home already, he was the guy that could be the extra man,” Valentine said. “We were talking about it. We were talking about it. And that wasn’t a good feeling.”

The manager would not provide any names, although he did indicate that Mike Aviles and Mauro Gomez were emergency catcher candidates. Jarrod Saltalamacchia caught all 12 innings but backup Ryan Lavarnway, who was the DH, was taken out for a pinch runner in the ninth.

* Valentine indicated that Aaron Cook, who threw six solid innings on three days rest Saturday, will not need an extra day before making his next start. Cook threw just 71 pitches, about what “he had in the tank,” Valentine said.

* Outfielder Daniel Nava was placed on the disabled list for the second time on Saturday. Valentine said the sprained left wrist never fully healed.

“He was feeling good in his rehab but he wasn’t feeling great,” Valentine said. “Came up and played the game here after his fourth game in Triple-A where he had three at-bats, and in his like third at-bat here he felt something and thought it would go away and it kept getting worse the next day and in batting practice. He knew we needed him, knew there wasn’t much to do. Tried to play through it. Finally had the talk with him. Told him he has to take care of himself before he can take care of his team.”

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?