<
>

Union does not appeal Aceves' suspension

8/28/2012

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Boston Red Sox relief pitcher Alfredo Aceves had little to say regarding his three-game suspension after rejoining the team here for Tuesday night’s game against the Los Angeles Angels.

"It's in the past," he said.

Was he sorry? "The past is in the past," he said. “I'm here to play baseball."

He would not respond to a question of whether the players’ union is grieving the suspension on his behalf, other than to say it’s “personal." Later, his agent, Tom O’Connell, said the union will not grieve the suspension, which the club said was “conduct detrimental to the team."

Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said he spoke with Aceves for about 30 minutes, and the coaches joined them for an additional 20 minutes of discussion.

“It’s all over," Valentine said. “I’m excited about him possibly coming back and help us win a game, or two or three."

Valentine said Andrew Bailey, who had appeared in four of the last five games, was not available out of the pen, which would suggest Aceves will get last call. Valentine did not commit to that, however.

"Whoever picks up the phone down there," he said. “Gary [Tuck, the bullpen coach] picks it up."

Valentine would not say whether an apology was forthcoming from Aceves, who had stormed out of the manager’s office following Friday night’s game, in which he had been passed over for a save opportunity.

Asked if he was satisfied that Aceves has an understanding of why he was suspended, Valentine said: “He didn’t protest the suspension. I don’t know that I have to explain personalities and conversations. He’s moving forward and he’s in uniform and hopefully he’s going to help us win some games."