Valentine: 'I'm the best man for the job'

September, 11, 2012
9/11/12
6:35
PM ET
BOSTON -- Even Bobby Valentine was a bit taken aback by the way Tuesday’s pregame media session began.

“Was that a tough question, by the way?’’ the Red Sox manager said. “Would you call that -- that's the beginning of a press conference, there's a tough one."

The question came from Rich Shertenlieb, cohost of the “Toucher and Rich” show on 98.5 The Sports Hub, who asked:

“If you had to make your case to the fans as to why you should be the manager of the Red Sox next year, what would you say to them?’’

Valentine was measured in his reply. “I feel bad for those fans. I don't have to make a case for them, though. I suffered with them.’’

Shertenlieb had a follow-up. “What would you want to say to them, if you do come back, to make them believe next year there will be a different result?’’

Valentine: “I'm the best man for the job.’’

Radio talk-show hosts don’t typically show up for pregame sessions, but Valentine presented WEEI’s Glenn Ordway with a gift sound bite last week, so perhaps 'EEI’s rivals were looking for the same. If so, they probably went away disappointed.

The topic of Valentine’s future, which will not fade until the Red Sox announce whether he will be back next year -- a decision they say won't be made until the end of the season -- came up again later in his session. Asked if he’s “lost any sleep” about his situation, the manager said, “I haven't lost any sleep only because when I get to bed I'm worn out, and these games have worn me out, to tell you the truth, very often.’’

Valentine repeated that he expects to return unless told otherwise.

“I mean, this is a continuous question,’’ he said. “It's like one of those things: Is something going to happen, well, until it doesn't.’’

Gordon Edes

Red Sox reporter, ESPNBoston.com

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?