Source: No offers yet for Hunter

November, 13, 2012
11/13/12
4:02
PM ET
Free-agent outfielder Torii Hunter is gaining the attention of many clubs, including the Boston Red Sox.

Even though the 37-year-old outfielder told MLB Network on Monday that he would make a decision soon, an industry source tells ESPNBoston.com that Hunter has not received any offers as of Tuesday afternoon.

“I expect things to heat up,” added the source.

Another source told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Monday that Hunter was looking to make a decision within the next two weeks.

The Red Sox have talked with Hunter’s agent, Larry Reynolds, but that process was in the preliminary stages during the GM meetings last week in Indian Wells, Calif.

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington wants to add two outfielders through either free agency or the trade market. Hunter is high on a lot of teams’ wish lists, including the Red Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers, Detroit Tigers and New York Yankees.

He was reportedly meeting with the Tigers on Tuesday.

Hunter, 37, is a nine-time Gold Glove winner coming off one of his finest seasons. He batted .313 with 16 home runs and 92 RBIs for the Los Angeles Angels, who did not extend a qualifying offer to him. Because of that, any team that signs Hunter would not have to surrender a draft pick.

Joe McDonald

Reporter, ESPNBoston.com

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?