<
>

Buchholz throws; no timetable for return

7/3/2013

BOSTON -- Clay Buchholz is back throwing, at least.

The Red Sox right-hander, who’s made only two starts in the last month-plus, played catch before Tuesday’s interleague series opener against the San Diego Padres at Fenway.

Manager John Farrell said Buchholz’s return to throwing -- his first foray since bursitis was discovered in his right shoulder in an MRI last week -- went off without issue. Buchholz threw from 60 feet before the Red Sox took batting practice on what Farrell said is the first day of a mapped-out process.

“The throwing program will be outlined to 60, 90, 120 feet, [with a] varying number of throws or a progressive number of throws before we get him on the mound,” Farrell said after Buchholz’s session.

He added, “We don’t have a specific date that right now he would get back on the mound.”

Since May 22, Buchholz has made just two starts for a total of 11 2/3 innings. His last start was June 8, a win against the Los Angeles Angels, and he was lifted from the game with two outs in the seventh inning with what was then called “neck tightness.”

Buchholz is one of two major league pitchers (along with Detroit’s Max Scherzer) who remain undefeated in more than five decisions. He leads the American League with a 1.71 earned run average.