Extension for Ortiz? Not yet, but closing in

March, 20, 2014
3/20/14
7:18
PM ET
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Manager John Farrell was just wrapping up his afternoon session with reporters Thursday when Sox CEO Larry Lucchino came down onto the field where the Sox were about to begin their pregame stretch and sought out David Ortiz.

After a brief conversation, Ortiz left the field, asking for instructions on how to get up to the Sox offices. Shortly after, Lucchino followed.

Could this mean that an agreement had been reached on a contract extension?

"I don’t know," Ortiz said.

"I got to see some people, take some pictures and sign autographs," Ortiz said.

Was he just trying to throw a reporter off the scent?

Not according to Lucchino, who said a deal had not been reached.

"We're trying," he said. "We've been trying the last couple of weeks."

But no, he said, a deal had not been struck.

"He's in good spirits," Lucchino noted. "Today's the right day to jump on him, don't you think?"

There is little doubt that an agreement will be reached, perhaps even in the next few days. Ortiz's agent, Fernando Cuza, is in town, as well as Sox majority owner John W. Henry. Asked if things were looking good, Ortiz said, "Yes."

A few minutes later, Ortiz headed back to the field, a visitor beside him. No deal. Just taking care of business.

Gordon Edes

Red Sox reporter, ESPNBoston.com

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.