- Gordon Edes, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
TORONTO -- Quick hits on Red Sox 7, Jays 5:
* The race: Sox still trail Rays by 4½ in wild card as Tampa beat the Tigers 8-0. But they moved within 5 of the Yankees in the AL East as New York lost 4-3 in 10 innings at Texas on a walk-off single by David Murphy off Mariano Rivera. Games left: 48
* The difference-maker: Mike Lowell, with a home run that broke 5-5 tie in the eighth. In seven games (six starts) since his return, Lowell is batting .240 (6-for-25) with two HRs and six RBIs.
* Rest paid off: Lowrie, who did not play in the last three games of the Yankees series, hit three balls hard, the two doubles and one shot that was caught on the track. But it wasn’t all good for Lowrie. He also dropped a feed at second and was late to the bag on another.
* Stat of the night: Jonathan Papelbon is now 24-for-24 in save opportunities in his career against the Blue Jays. He has allowed four earned runs in 44 innings, an 0.82 ERA.
* Quoteboard: “Tonight was like our whole season. It wasn’t perfect, but we kept playing.’’
--Manager Terry Francona
3dTony Lee, Special to ESPN.com