Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Buchholz to throw off mound Friday
BALTIMORE -- Right-hander Clay Buchholz, who has been on the 15-day disabled list since June 19 with a lower back strain, is scheduled to have his first throwing session off a mound Friday, manager Terry Francona said.
Buchholz has been throwing off flat ground, throwing from 120 feet on Monday, and plans to play catch from the same distance on Wednesday. If all goes well, he'll throw off a mound on Friday, Francona said.
Another injured Red Sox pitcher, reliever Bobby Jenks, had an injection of platelet-rich plasma in his ailing back on Tuesday, according to Francona.
Jenks was placed on the DL for the third time this season last week with back tightness.