Thursday, February 21, 2013
Quick hits from John Farrell
By Gordon Edes
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Some very quick hits from Red Sox manager John Farrell. Expanded version shortly.
* Mike Napoli should start running the bases early next week, and see game action by the end of the week.
* No word yet on either activity for David Ortiz. Still going through agility drills.
* New first baseman-outfield candidate Mike Carp ran into some weather-related flight delays coming from California, and will be in camp Friday. First order of business is to undergo a physical. Non-roster invitee Mitch Maier, the former No. 1 Royals draft pick, is out of the first base mix. He’ll play in the outfield exclusively.
* Farrell sees some improvement in Jose Iglesias offensively, notes that he’s standing more upright at the plate.
* Farrell’s plan for now is that Jacoby Ellsbury will be his leadoff hitter. If he has another monster season like 2011, he could see some time in the 3-spot, but the plan at the moment is leadoff.
* Ryan Lavarnway will catch knuckleballer Steven Wright when he pitches Monday.