Friday, February 22, 2013
Quick hits from Farrell
By Gordon Edes
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- A few very quick hits from John Farrell. Expanded version to come.
* Mike Napoli will run the bases Sunday. That’s the final step before game action, which could come by midweek (my guess, not Farrell).
* John Lackey, who will get one more start than the other starters here, goes an inning here Saturday against a split-squad of Tampa Bay Rays. Farrell calls it a “significant day for him, and for the team.’’ Lackey feels great physically, Farrell said. “The arm is showing the looseness we were accustomed to seeing with the Angels and his first year here.’’
* Mike Carp took batting practice after completing his physical and will probably go through three to five days of drills before being used in a game. The intention is to play him both at first base and left field, Farrell said.
* Farrell, who could have opted to go to Port Charlotte on Monday for another split-squad against the Rays, instead says he will take the much longer bus ride to play his former team, the Blue Jays. Farrell can expect to endure another hostile round of questioning from Toronto media about his decision to leave the Blue Jays for Boston.
* Tim Wakefield will be in Dunedin to watch knuckleballer Steven Wright, then is expected to come to the Fort to spend a few days with him.