Saturday, March 2, 2013
Quick hits: Ortiz to run bases, slated to play
By Gordon Edes
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Quick hits from Red Sox manager John Farrell before the team makes the quick bus ride over to Hammond Stadium to face the Twins:
* DH David Ortiz is back and scheduled to run the bases here Saturday. The agility drill phase of his rehab is over, Farrell said, and it will all be baseball activity going forward. Ortiz got in a baserunning exercise just before he left for the Dominican while the club was playing elsewhere earlier this week, Farrell revealed, so this will be his second time on the basepaths. If all goes well, he'll be appearing in a game at the end of the week.
* Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia was to have caught Clay Buchholz this afternoon, but he has a little back stiffness. He's scheduled to play Sunday.
* Outfielder Shane Victorino will lead off, get two or three at-bats, then make his departure for Team USA on Sunday.
* Outfielder Jonny Gomes is "bitchin' and moanin" that he's not playing, Farrell said, but the club wants to make sure the laceration on his left kneecap heals properly.
* Pitcher Franklin Morales also is dealing with a little back stiffness and his next appearance has been pushed back. Pitcher Pedro Beato has a little shoulder stiffness.
* Meanwhile, the Yankees sent word that Kevin Youkilis will not be making the long bus trip from Tampa for Sunday's game against the Red Sox. Looks like it will be a skeleton cast of Bombers, with Derek Jeter still recovering from injury, Curtis Granderson out with a fractured arm, Mark Teixeira and Robinson Cano bound for the WBC, and Youkilis taking a pass.
Shane Victorino, RF
Ryan Sweeney, LF
Will Middlebrooks, 3B
Lyle Overbay, 1B
Juan Carlos Linares, DH
Mitch Maier, CF
Daniel Butler, C
Jose Iglesias, SS
Jonathan Diaz, 2B
Clay Buchholz, RHP