Monday, June 3, 2013
SoxProspects: Monthly report for May
By Mike Andrews, SoxProspects.com
Here's a look at how the top prospects in the Red Sox system performed over the past month (statistics through May 31), including some rising and falling prospects and other miscellaneous notes (SoxProspects.com prospect ranking in parenthesis).
Top Position Prospects
(1) Xander Bogaerts, SS, Portland -- .277/.380/.535 with 5 HRs
(2) Jackie Bradley, OF, Boston/Pawtucket -- .200/.200/.200 in 5 ABs for Boston; .419/.519/.721 for Pawtucket
(6) Garin Cecchini, 3B, Salem -- .326/.444/.461 with 2 HRs
(8) Bryce Brentz, OF, Pawtucket -- .287/.319/.472 with 5 HRs
(10) Jose Iglesias, SS, Boston/Pawtucket -- .423/.448/.538 for Boston; .158/.234/.211 for Pawtucket
(11) Blake Swihart, C, Salem -- .324/.420/.471 with 0 HRs
(13) Deven Marrero, SS, Salem -- .224/.262/.276 with 0 HRs
(15) Christian Vazquez, C, Portland -- .259/.386/.448 with 2 HRs
(16) Sean Coyle, 2B, Salem -- .195/.258/.354 with 3 HRs
(19) Michael Almanzar, 3B/1B, Portland -- .262/.345/.447 with 4 HRs
After a torrid stretch for the PawSox, Jackie Bradley was recalled by Boston.
Bogaerts had a big day on May 29, going 3-for-4 with a walk, a double, 2 home runs, 5 runs batted in and 3 runs. ... Bradley was on fire prior to his promotion to Boston, hitting .410/.500/.744 after returning from the disabled list on May 17. ... Cecchini was ranked as the 23rd-best prospect in all of baseball by ESPN's Keith Law on May 28. ... Iglesias saw his first professional action at third base with Triple-A Pawtucket on May 21, and then earned a promotion to Boston on May 24.
Top Pitching Prospects
(3) Allen Webster, RHP, Boston/Pawtucket -- 0-1 W-L, 43.20 ERA, 5.40 WHIP, 2/3 K/BB in 1.2 IP for Boston; 4-0, 2.08, 0.97, 25/11 K/BB in 21.2 IP for Pawtucket
(4) Matt Barnes, RHP, Portland -- 2-0, 2.65, 1.06, 37/9 K/BB in 34.0 IP
(5) Rubby De La Rosa, RHP, Pawtucket -- 0-1, 0.56, 0.88, 17/7 K/BB in 16.0 IP
(7) Henry Owens, LHP, Salem -- 1-1, 5.04, 1.32, 32/11 K/BB in 25.0 IP
(9) Anthony Ranaudo, RHP, Portland -- 3-1, 1.91, 0.91, 32/10 K/BB in 33.0 IP
(12) Brandon Workman, RHP, Portland -- 1-1, 4.82, 1.50, 35/9 K/BB in 28.0 IP
(14) Alex Wilson, RHP, Boston/Pawtucket -- 1-0, 3.75 ERA, 1.75 WHIP, 11/6 K/BB in 12 IP for Boston; 0-1, 6.75, 2.25, 2/1 K/BB in 1.1 IP for Pawtucket
(17) Drake Britton, LHP, Portland -- 1-3, 3.86, 1.56, 31/15 in 32.2 IP
(18) Brian Johnson, LHP, Greenville -- 1-3, 4.28, 1.24, 31/9 K/BB in 27.1 IP
Despite being rocked in his one appearance with Boston on May 8, Webster was unfazed and returned to post solid numbers with the PawSox. ... Barnes returned to form in May, showing improved command of the strike zone. ... De La Rosa had his pitch limit increased to 70-75 pitches per game, and has had improved results when he hasn't had to worry about his pitch count. ... Ranaudo was outstanding for the second consecutive month, featuring a plus mid-90s fastball, a solid curveball, and a decent changeup. ... Johnson, on the other hand, has disappointed for a first-round college pick pitching at the low-A level.
(21) Frank Montas, RHP, Greenville -- 0-2, 4.50, 1.14, 25/8 K/BB in 22.0 IP
(25) Mookie Betts, 2B, Greenville -- .356/.472/.663 with 6 HRs and 8 SBs
(35) Chris Martin, RHP, Portland/Pawtucket -- 1-0, 1.72, 0.96, 16/3 K/BB in 15.2 IP
Montas has been able to take advantage of many batters with his high-90s fastball, but he'll need to make continued improvement with his slider to move to the next level. ... Betts has been the lone bright spot in Greenville's anemic offense. ... Martin earned a promotion to Pawtucket on May 11, and gave up his first earned run of the season on May 28.
(24) Brandon Jacobs, OF, Salem -- .227/.272/.423 with 4 HRs and 3 SBs
(26) Pat Light, RHP, Greenville -- 13.06, 2.90, 8/8 K/BB in 10.1 IP
(42) Kolbrin Vitek, 3B, Portland -- .162/.225/.203 with 0 HRs
It was moderately surprising that Jacobs did not earn a promotion to Double-A to begin the season, and unfortunately he has taken a step back from his 2012 performance. ... Like Johnson, Light has been far too hittable for a high college draft pick playing at low-A. ... Vitek, a first-round pick in 2010, is now hitting .262 with a .698 for his minor-league career, while continuing to post increasingly worse results each season.
As of June 1, here are your batting and pitching leaders in the Red Sox minor league system (cumulative stats, min. 2.7 plate appearances per team game or 0.8 IP per team game).
Average: Cecchini at .357, Bogaerts at .290, Swihart at .290, Almanzar at .289, and Pawtucket 1B Brandon Snyder at .288.
Home runs: Brentz and Coyle with 10, Almanzar and Greenville 1B David Chester with 9, and Betts and Snyder with 8.
Stolen bases: Pawtucket OF Jeremy Hazelbaker with 16, Cecchini and Portland OF Shannon Wilkerson with 12, and Betts, Coyle, and Greenville OF Felix Sanchez with 11.
ERA: Ranaudo at 1.48, Webster at 2.52, Owens at 3.53, Portland RHP Charlie Haeger at 3.55, and Pawtucket LHP Chris Hernandez at 3.67.
Strikeouts: Workman with 69, Owens with 62, Ranaudo with 58, Britton with 56, and Barnes with 54.
The Red Sox made two minor-league signings over the past month in LHP Rafael Perez and 3B Mario Martinez. There were three minor-league level promotions in May: Martin from Portland to Pawtucket; RHP Chris Balcom-Miller from Salem to Portland; and RHP Madison Younginer from Greenville to Salem. Additionally, IF Matt Gedman was added to the Salem roster from extended spring training, and RHP Gerardo Oliveras, RHP Luis Diaz, RHP Jacob Dahlstrand, and IF Keaton Briscoe were added to the Greenville roster from extended spring training.
On the injury front, Boston had David Ross, Franklin Morales, and Andrew Bailey all in the minor leagues on rehab assignment at various points in May. Minor leaguers on the disabled list at the close of the month include Pawtucket OF Alex Hassan (calf), RHP Chris Carpenter (bicep), 1B Mark Hamilton (wrist), Portland RHP Aaron Kurcz (elbow), OF Peter Hissey (hand), and Greenville RHP Jason Garcia (arm), RHP Pat Light (hamstring), IF Mike Miller (quad), and OF Kendrick Perkins (calf).