Sunday, July 11, 2010
Beltre: 'I won't risk anything'
By Joe McDonald
TORONTO -- Red Sox third baseman Adrian Beltre is confident he’ll be fine, but said it’s too early to tell whether or not he’ll be able to play in the All-Star game after he strained his left hamstring on Sunday at Rogers Centre.
“I should be able to play, but I can’t say for sure yet,” he said after Boston’s 3-2 victory over Toronto in the last game before the break. “So far, I’m playing, for now.”
Beltre, a first-time All-Star, felt his hamstring “pop” when he was only a few steps away from first base when he grounded out to shortstop in the top of the fifth inning against the Blue Jays.
After Sunday’s game and series win, Beltre was packing his bags to join teammates David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia, Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz and Victor Martinez on their flight to Anaheim for the midsummer classic.
“I won’t try to risk anything. If I don’t feel good, I won’t play,” Beltre said. “It’s the All-Star game, but I don’t want to screw up the season for a couple at-bats in an exhibition game. I’ll be cautious on that.”
Beltre did not want to come out of the game, but once the Red Sox gained a 3-0 lead in the top of the sixth inning, manager Terry Francona told the third baseman he was done for the day.
“I wasn’t going to come out if the game was 0-0. It was a little easier when we got the lead,” Beltre said. “It’s tough to tell because I thought it was going to be worse. It felt like something was going to pop and every time I curled my legs I got a cramp on it. Hopefully tomorrow it feels better.”