Monday, February 22, 2010
Six quick hits: David Ortiz
By Gordon Edes
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Six quick hits from David Ortiz, who strolled through the clubhouse Monday carrying a laptop computer the same color as his red socks.
1. Body beautiful: Ortiz, commenting on what kind of shape he's in, after being admonished this winter that offseason conditioning was expected: "You've got to see me naked. I feel good. Everything is good. ... I feel good. Do I look good?"
2. Look out, Mr. Rawlings: Ortiz talked about whether he needs to prove himself after last season.
“I’m going to leave that up to you guys. I know myself. I believe in myself. I have done it tons of times. For me to do it and get it done once again, it’s not a surprise. All you guys know me. All you guys know what I’m capable to do. People struggle sometimes. People know how to bounce back, not too many. I’m very excited about this season. I’m positive. My focus right now is to do some damage.”
3. Big Papi stamp of approval: Ortiz endorsed the additions of Mike Cameron and Adrian Beltre.
“I think it’s good. I think those guys, they have plenty of experience. This is a division, there’s no question, it’s the toughest division in baseball. I don’t think any of them have been involved in what is going on in this side of the baseball game. When I came here, I was just like them, a little blind about what the game is all about. The chemistry and watching what was going on around here, I just got in the mix. I’m pretty sure they’re going to do the same thing. Those are guys with a lot of talent, guys that are going to give us good defense, some good hits. I think it was a really good move by the front office.”
4. Big Papi stamp of approval II: Ortiz gave a thumbs-up to the addition of John Lackey.
“I think it’s a pretty good addition. It’s not a surprise for anyone that Lackey is one of the best pitchers in the league. You have good hitters in this division and having him on our side, it’s a plus, no question about it.”
5. Calling all boppers: Ortiz is looking for someone to provide some thunder with the departure of Jason Bay and Mike Lowell being in limbo.
“We need to have some guys stepping up and doing some damage. It’s because we have a few guys, good producers, one of them is not going to be around. And Mikey, I don’t know what Mikey’s situation is, but hopefully everything goes well with him.”
6. What doesn’t kill you … : Ortiz said he expects to rebound from last season’s travails.
“Last season was an experience for me. At the end of the season, when I sat down at my house, I was proud of myself. It was because there’s not too many people that know how to bounce back from that hole that I walked into the first two months. I asked myself how did I bounce back? I had an answer for that, I just stayed strong and didn’t pay attention to all the negativity that sometimes people bring around. I just stuck with what I have and thanks to God, I had a whole lot of teammates that had my back when I was really struggling.
“There were a few pieces I put together and came around. I definitely know that bouncing back like I did last year gave me more confidence and makes me stronger for this year.”