Boston Red Sox: White Sox

After loss, Buchholz set to start on short rest

September, 4, 2010
9/04/10
6:19
PM ET
BOSTON -- Boston Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz suffered his first loss since July 21 as the Chicago White Sox defeated Boston 3-1 in the first game of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon at Fenway Park.

The right-hander will have to quickly put this one in the books because there’s a strong possibility he will start again on Wednesday on only three days rest against the Tampa Bay Rays. Buchholz was not under a strict pitch count against the White Sox, but he was removed after the fifth inning and 95 pitches.

“We’re thinking about bringing him back Wednesday,” admitted Red Sox manager Terry Francona. “So if there’s any possibility of that happening, if we sent him back out for the sixth, I don’t think it would have been realistic.”

Buchholz, now 15-6 on the season, said he’s ready for anything.

“I’m sure I did it in high school a couple of times, but not at this magnitude,” he said. “We’re going to wait and see how my body feels over the next couple of days and then we’ll make that decision.”

Buchholz made his 28th start of the season on Saturday and allowed only two runs on six hits with one walk and two strikeouts.

“I’ve never started too well against this team and they put up some good at-bats and fouled off some good pitches,” Buchholz said. “My pitch count got up really quick and I feel like I got ahead in the count in most cases. They battled off some pitcher’s pitches and found a way to get on base and score some runs. They’ve always been a good hitting team and when you throw Manny [Ramirez] in the mix it makes them that much better.”

The loss also snapped a career-high seven-game undefeated streak. The White Sox are the only big league club he has faced three times and not recorded a win. Buchholz is 0-2 with a 9.95 ERA in three career starts against Chicago.

Manny could be at Fenway next weekend

August, 28, 2010
8/28/10
7:59
PM ET
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- If the Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox are able to work out a trade by 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, slugger Manny Ramirez will return to the American League.

The White Sox claimed Ramirez off waivers on Friday and have exclusive rights to work out a deal to acquire the 38-year-old.

Prior to the three-team trade that sent Ramirez to the Dodgers from the Boston Red Sox at the trade deadline in 2008, he spent his entire career in the American League. He spent eight years with the Cleveland Indians before signing with the Red Sox in 2001. If the left fielder returns to the AL with the White Sox, he’ll likely be used as a designated hitter.

Red Sox slugger David Ortiz believes Ramirez returning to the AL, and becoming a DH, will be a good thing for his career.

“I think he should so he doesn’t have to chase balls,” Ortiz said. “With the hamstring problems he has -- but I don’t think he likes to only DH.”

When Ortiz suffered a wrist injury in 2008, Ramirez served as Boston’s designated hitter for 31 games and posted a .308 average with six homers and 20 RBIs.

“He was the DH for a few games and he didn’t like it,” Ortiz said. “He’ll get used to it. Now he’s a little older and I think he’s having problems with his hamstrings. That ballpark in Chicago, he always killed it there. I would sign him.”

Ramirez has a career .338 average with 15 homers and 50 RBIs in 59 games in Chicago.

Despite Ramirez’s age, Ortiz knows his friend can still play and help any club.

“He was born to hit,” Ortiz said.

The Red Sox host the White Sox next weekend at Fenway Park and then the two teams play the a four-game series at the end of September in Chicago. Ramirez returned to Fenway Park earlier this season with the Dodgers during interleague play.

SPONSORED HEADLINES