Boxing: Stats & Information
September, 12, 2013
By Joseph Kilduff | ESPN Stats & Information
Floyd Mayweather versus Canelo Alvarez on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas might be the super-fight, but it is not the only fight of interest on the card. On the undercard, the undefeated unified junior welterweight (140 pounds) champion Danny Garcia (26-0-0) will defend his titles against knockout artist Lucas Matthysse (34-2-0, 1 NC). Here are the numbers you need to know about Saturday’s fight.
(32) Fights Matthysse has won by knockout. This includes knockout victories in his most recent six fights, and his 89 percent knockout rate exceeds that of Garcia, who has won by knockout 16 times in 26 fights (62 percent).
(1) Common opponents of Garcia and Matthysse. Zab Judah won a controversial split decision against Matthysse three years ago and lost by unanimous decision to Garcia in April of this year.
(19) Jabs Garcia has thrown per round, on average, in his last six fights. According to CompuBox, Garcia has landed an average of three jabs per round in his last six fights. Matthysse has thrown an average of 17 jabs per round and landed an average of two.
(73) Percentage Matthysse’s punches that are power punches. According to CompuBox, this percentage is fifth-highest among qualified boxers, and his 17 power punches landed per round ranks seventh.
(28) Percentage of power punches Garcia’s opponents land. According to CompuBox, this is the eight-lowest among qualified fighters.
(60) Average number of punches thrown per round among junior welterweights. According to CompuBox, the average punches landed per round in the junior welterweight division is 18. Garcia has thrown an average of 54 punches per round in his most recent six fights and has connected on an average of 17 of them. Matthysse has thrown and average of 63 punches per round and has connected on an average 19 in his last seven fights. Of the combined 36 punches landed per round by Garcia and Matthysse, 31 (86 percent) are power punches.
(5) Fights Danny Garcia has fought at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Matthysse has never fought at the MGM Grand; in fact, only eight of his fights --including both of his losses -- have been held in the United States. All but one of Garcia’s fights has taken place in the United States.
(6) Streak of fights for Garcia against current or former world titleholders.
Top-Ranked junior welterweight boxers according to The RING:
Champion: Danny Garcia
1. Lucas Matthysse
2. Amir Khan *
3. Mike Alvarado
4. Lamont Peterson **
5. Zab Judah *
* Lost to Danny Garcia
** Lost to Lucas Matthysse
-- Statistical data provided by CompuBox