Bills Camp Report: Day 13
August, 1, 2014
By Mike Rodak | ESPN.com
PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Buffalo Bills training camp:
- The Bills got a pair of offensive linemen back at practice, with both Chris Williams (toe) and Chris Hairston (back) returning to action. Hairston stepped in with the second team at left tackle. He wasn't part of the mix at right guard, where Kraig Urbik and Cyril Richardson split first-team reps. Meanwhile, tight end Lee Smith returned to practice after missing Thursday's session with a lower body injury. The Bills were still without top tight ends Tony Moeaki (hamstring) and Scott Chandler (groin).
- The Bills said after practice that wide receiver Marquise Goodwin was dealing with a hamstring injury. We saw Goodwin pull up after a 1-on-1 route in Thursday's practice, grabbing his hamstring. He participated in the rest of that session but didn't get many reps Friday night. It wouldn't be surprising if the Bills held him out Sunday.
- After a second long week of practice, the offense was a bit sluggish as it closed out Friday's session. The Bills held a 1:28 drill (instead of a two-minute drill) and EJ Manuel's first three passes fell incomplete against the second-team defense. He recovered on fourth-and-10, hitting Mike Williams for a 20-yard gain. But as the offense crossed midfield, it stalled again, with a delay-of-game penalty preceding a Jacquies Smith sack as time expired. The second-team offense didn't fare much better, with Thad Lewis intercepted on the fourth play by cornerback Nickell Robey.
- Following the two-minute drill, the Bills closed out their practice with a 7-on-7 drill in the red zone, as they've done for most of camp. Manuel overthrew Sammy Watkins on a fade pattern, then had Evan Rodriguez drop a pass across the middle. Manuel scrambled on his third play, and Watkins dropped a would-be touchdown on the final play. Not the best series. In an 11-on-11 red zone drill earlier in practice, Manuel overthrew Watkins on one play and was picked off by safety Jajuan Harley in the end zone on another before finding Robert Woods (twice) and Chris Gragg on touchdowns.
- The Bills will travel to Canton, Ohio, on Saturday in advance of Sunday's Hall of Fame game against the New York Giants. The team isn't expected to be present for Andre Reed's induction ceremony but will take part in some other private events. We'll have coverage from Canton all weekend.