Second-quarter wrap: Bears 21, Eagles 13

Michael Vick has been elusive for the Bears, but they still sacked him three times in the first half. Mike DiNovo/US Presswire

CHICAGO -- The Philadelphia Eagles' offense resorted to playing keep-away in the second quarter, which led to David Akers booting a 36-yard field goal at the 8:06 mark to pull the club to within a point of Chicago (14-13).

But it wasn’t enough to extinguish the Bears’ offensive firepower. Chicago went into intermission leading 21-13 on the strength of a 6-yard touchdown pass from Jay Cutler to Earl Bennett with 38 seconds left in the half.

Defensively, the Eagles limited the Bears to three and outs in their first two offensive possessions of the quarter, in addition to sacking Cutler three times with Mike Patterson, Brandon Graham and Trent Cole.

In capping a 10-play drive spanning 65 yards, Michael Vick squeezed an 8-yard pass through the second level of Chicago’s defense for a scoring strike to Jeremy Maclin to make the score 14-10 after an Akers extra point kick.

Headed into the quarter, the game showed the makings of a shootout. At the end of the first quarter, Vick had registered a passer rating of 106.5, while Cutler’s passer rating sat at 156.2. But Philadelphia’s defense tightened significantly in the second quarter. Offensively, Vick remained in a groove.

Bears defensive end Julius Peppers, defensive tackle Tommie Harris and safety Chris Harris deserve credit for preventing the Eagles from gaining a halftime advantage. Chicago’s defense forced Philadelphia to walk away from two red zone drives empty-handed.

With the Eagles holding possession at the Chicago 3, Peppers sacked Vick for a 16-yard loss on third down, forcing the club to settle for Akers’ 36-yard field goal.

Tommie Harris averted what appeared to be another Eagles scoring drive by tipping a Vick pass, with Chris Harris coming up with the interception -- Vick's first INT since 2006 -- in the end zone. Harris returned the interception 39 yards. Then, a 30-yard completion from Cutler to Bennett set up the Bears in scoring position.

Four plays later, Cutler hit Bennett for a 6-yard touchdown to make the score 21-13 at the half, after Robbie Gould’s extra-point kick.