Nuts & Bolts: Bears-Seahawks
| When: Noon, Sunday | TV: FOX | RADIO: 780 AM, WBBM & 105.9 FM
Coach: Lovie Smith | Record including playoffs: 73-58
Career head-to-head record (including playoffs) vs. Pete Carroll: 1-1
Career record (including playoffs) against Seahawks: 4-2
Last week: Lost to Broncos 13-10 in OT.
Key stat:In the midst of a three-game losing streak, the Bears haven’t lost four in a row since 2009. That season, the team finished 7-9 and third in the NFC North.
Offense rank: 13th (319.6 ypg) | Defense rank: 20th (358.2 ypg)
Offensive leader: Receiver Earl Bennett is arguably the team’s most dynamic offensive threat. But the problem is he’s been neutralized over the last three weeks. After making 14 catches over Jay Cutler’s last three games, Bennett has produced just two catches for 10 yards over the last three weeks. Against the Broncos, Bennett finished without a catch for the first time all season.
Jonathan Daniel/Getty ImagesJulius Peppers leads the Bears in sacks this season with nine.
Defensive leader: Defensive end Julius Peppers leads the Bears in sacks (9), and has produced three of those over the last three weeks, including two in the Nov. 27 loss at Oakland. A six-time Pro Bowler, Peppers ranks fourth in the NFL in career sacks (98) since coming into the league in 2002, and has recovered nine fumbles in 151 games.
• The Bears now have 19 takeaways in the last seven games, which is the most in the NFL since Week 7.
• The Bears haven’t won a game all season in which they trailed after the first quarter and are 17-25 under those conditions since 2004. The team is also 0-4 this season when it trails at intermission.
• Robbie Gould hasn’t missed a field goal from a distance of 50 yards or more all season (6 of 6), which establishes a single-season franchise record. Gould’s six field goals of 50-plus yards tie him for second in the NFL in 2011.
Coach: Pete Carroll | Record: 46-47 | Last week: Defeated the Rams 30-13
Career head-to-head record vs. Smith: 1-1 | Career record vs. Bears: 2-2
Key stat: Under Carroll and general manager John Schneider, the Seahawks made 284 roster moves in 2010. Of the 53 players on the active roster, just 12 were with the team in 2009. Seventy-seven percent of the roster is in their first or second year with the club.
Offense rank: 27th (303.2 ypg) | Defense rank: 13th (335.2 ypg)
AP Photo/Tony GutierrezMarshawn Lynch has rushed for at least 100 yards in five of the Seahawks' last six games.
Offensive leader: Running back Marshawn Lynch has gained 100 yards or more in five of Seattle’s last six games. Lynch’s 969 yards ranks fifth in the NFC and seventh in the league, and he is on pace to become the franchise’s first running back to produce a 1,000-yard season since 2005 (Shaun Alexander).
• The Seahawks have rushed for 100 yards or more as a team in six consecutive games, which is the first time they’ve accomplished that feat since the 2002 and 2003 seasons.
• The Seahawks are tied for second in the NFL in fewest second-half touchdowns (9). Seattle has allowed 93 total second-half points all season, and just seven opponents have scored TDs against the Seahawks’ defense in the second half all season.
• Lynch has scored at least one touchdown in five of his last six games..
Defensive leader:Defensive end Chris Clemons has racked up 20 sacks in 29 games for the Seahawks. Clemons is fifth among defensive ends, sixth in the NFC, and ninth in the NFL in sacks since the start of last season. Interestingly, Clemons ranks among five 2011 Pro Bowlers (DeMarcus Ware, Jason Babin, Terrell Suggs, Cameron Wake and Clay Matthews) in sacks since 2010.