Bears: Matt Slauson

Cutler pleased with Bears' OL additions

April, 30, 2013
Apr 30
10:28
AM CT
Quarterback Jay Cutler is happy to see the Chicago Bears have made protecting their quarterback a priority after adding to the offensive line through free agency and with two draft picks.

[+] Enlarge
Jay Cutler
Brace Hemmelgarn/USA TODAY SportsWith the new additions along the offensive line, Jay Cutler might not be under as much pressure in the pocket next season.
The Bears, who gave up 49 sacks last season, which was fifth in the NFL, invested $17.7 million in guaranteed money in left tackle Jermon Bushrod and added guard Matt Slauson, who started 48 games the past four seasons for the New York Jets, during free agency. The Bears then picked Oregon guard Kyle Long with the 20th overall selection and Louisiana Tech offensive tackle Jordan Mills in the fifth round of the NFL draft.

"(The coaching staff is) going to make sure everyone knows their assignments and we are protected," Cutler said Monday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN Chicago 1000. "Bushrod is a huge addition and we drafted some guys and some of the guys we had last year have to step in and play well. It's definitely a point of emphasis. We're not going to let the quarterback get hit. We're not going to go into games unsure about protections. Everything starts there, and I think (new offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Aaron) Kromer is doing a great job with getting those guys up to speed with exactly how they want these things done."

With seven offensive linemen coming off the board before the Bears made their pick, Cutler said he wasn't sure what his team had planned with their first-round selection.

"I watched the first round and linemen were going off the board left and right so I wasn't too sure where we were going to go," Cutler said. "We have some holes defensively, we have Bushrod through free agency so I wasn't for sure about the pick. Like any quarterback I'm pretty selfish so anytime they pick somebody on offense it's going to make me smile."

On the Bears' LBs and O-line

April, 1, 2013
Apr 1
11:45
AM CT
The Chicago Bears opened the "voluntary" portion of their offseason program Monday, having made a series of mid-level moves last week that re-organized their linebacker group and effected a swap at right guard. After catching up on the rest of the division, let's dig a bit deeper into the Bears' moves.

After bidding farewell to middle linebacker Brian Urlacher (free agent) and strong-side linebacker Nick Roach (Oakland Raiders), the Bears signed free agents D.J. Williams and James Anderson. Both players received one-year contracts that at most will cost the Bears about $3 million combined, which should tell you all you need to know about the permanence of that situation. (Anderson signed for $1.25 million, while Williams will earn up to $1.75 million, according to Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune.)

Williams' natural position is on the weak side, where Lance Briggs plays. So at the moment, he appears the most likely candidate to replace Urlacher in 2013. He will turn 31 in July and might be best-suited for an inside role at this point in his career. Anderson, who turns 30 in September, could wind up in Roach's old position.

I don't know if the Bears will alter their draft priorities after signing Williams and Anderson, but I don't think it should. If anything, what the Bears have done is provide a bridge to their next generation of linebackers. When the season ends, all three of their presumed starters -- Williams, Anderson and Briggs -- will be at least 30.

The Bears might no longer face the urgency of drafting an immediate starter at either position, but their need for long-term replacements at all three linebacker positions is no less acute. In some cases, a rookie can earn a starting job midway through the season if not before. Regardless, the position remains a high priority in this month's draft.

Meanwhile, it's fair for the moment to consider Matt Slauson as the replacement for right guard Lance Louis, who signed a one-year deal with the Miami Dolphins worth $1.603 million. I'm guessing the Bears didn't want to commit long-term to Louis while he rehabilitates his torn ACL, but it's only fair to point out he was the team's best offensive lineman last season. Slauson started 48 consecutive games over three seasons for the salary cap-strapped New York Jets, but he'll need to be a pretty successful free-agent signing to match Louis' pre-injury play from last season.

Note: The Bears got a head-start in their offseason program division because the NFL has a different schedule for teams with new coaches. During the next two weeks, players can participate in strength-and-conditioning workouts, as well as rehabilitation. Chicago will have a voluntary pre-draft minicamp from April 16-18, will start organized team activities (OTAs) on May 13 and have its mandatory minicamp from June 11-13.

Bears, Slauson agree to one-year deal

March, 29, 2013
Mar 29
2:08
PM CT
The Chicago Bears continued to fortify the offensive line for 2013 as the team agreed to terms on a one-year contract with former New York Jets guard Matt Slauson.

Read the entire story.
BACK TO TOP

SPONSORED HEADLINES