Western Conference Semifinals
Blackhawks 4, Red Wings 3 (Series tied, 3-3)
The Blackhawks forced a Game 7 with a 4-3 win over the Red Wings in Detroit. Michael Frolik provided the game winner with his penalty-shot goal in the 3rd period. According to Elias, Frolik became the first player to score two penalty-shot goals in Stanley Cup play. His other came during the 2011 playoffs against Vancouver. Game 7 will be played Wednesday at 8 ET. On Tuesday, the defending Stanley Cup champion Kings host the Sharks in Game 7 of their conference semifinal series. If recent history repeats itself, we’ll have a new champion this year. The last 4 instances of a defending Cup champion playing in a Game 7 have seen them lose that game.
* Bryan Bickell (CHI): go-ahead goal (5) at 5:48 of 3rd period (2nd straight game with goal)
* Michael Frolik (CHI): penalty shot goal (3) in 3rd period (1st penalty shot awarded in 2013 playoffs)
* Blackhawks: scored 8 goals over last 2 games (both wins) (had 2 goals in previous 3 games); trying to win a best-of-7 series after trailing 3-1 for 1st time in franchise history (0-11 all-time)
* Game 7 is Wednesday in Chicago at 8 ET
* Game 7 records: DET 14-9 (most Game 7 wins in NHL history); CHI 6-4 (last Game 7 win: 1995 CQF vs Maple Leafs)
FROM ELIAS: Michael Frolik’s penalty-shot goal midway through the third period proved to be the game-winning goal for the Blackhawks in their 4–3 victory at Detroit which tied their series against the Red Wings at three wins each. It was the first penalty-shot goal in the NHL playoffs since Frolik himself scored in Game 6 of Chicago’s first-round series against Vancouver in 2011. With his goal on Monday night, Frolik became the first player to score two penalty-shot goals in Stanley Cup play. Frolik’s goal in Game 6 against the Red Wings was also the first penalty-shot goal that was a game-winner for a team facing elimination in a series.
FROM ELIAS: In Stanley Cup Playoff history, teams that have had a chance to close out a series in Game 6 at home but have failed to do so are 20-31 in the ensuing Game 7 on the road.
The Red Wings have 14 Game 7 wins, the most in NHL history
Most Game 7 Wins - Stanley Cup Playoff History
Red Wings 14
Maple Leafs 12