Dad won't permit coaches to text Parker
CHICAGO -- The NCAA may now permit coaches to call and text recruits unlimitedly, but the restrictions in contacting Simeon’s Jabari Parker, the nation’s Class of 2013 recruit, haven’t changed.
Parker remains off limits. His parents, Sonny and Lola Parker, do not permit college coaches to contact Parker directly. They must call or text them.
“Everybody doing their job, but they still can’t have Jabari’s number,” Sonny said on Tuesday. “That ain’t changed.
“We want him to enjoy being who he is. If he wants to talk, we’ll ask him first. Right now, we don’t want him to be over-bombarded because coaches can sometimes be aggressive, and that can be overwhelming.”
Sonny said all of the coaches have stuck to the rules and have not attempted to contact Parker directly. Just in case, though, Parker did change his number recently.
“It’s okay,” Sonny said of the new NCAA rules. “It’s how you handle it. Don’t get overwhelmed, don’t get caught up. They have to do their job. We’re doing our job.”
Coaches have been reaching out to Parker’s parents in the last week. Sonny said they’ve heard from Duke, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, among others.
“I talked to (Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski) the other day,” Sonny said. “He wished me a Happy Father’s Day. My voicemail is filled. It’s been filled for a year.”
Parker, who was the ESPNChicago.com 2011-2012 Player of the Year, and his family haven’t discussed recruiting much yet. Sonny said Parker would trim his list to five schools at the end of the summer and begin to make visits.
Parker is currently training with the 17-and-under USA team in Colorado for the upcoming FIBA World Championship in Lithuania.