Did you know? Notre Dame vs. Oklahoma
October, 26, 2012
By Matt Fortuna | ESPNChicago.com
As always, thanks to our friends at ESPN Stats & Info and both sports information departments for these tidbits.
- Notre Dame has not allowed any opponent to score more than 17 points in 2012. Oklahoma has been held to 17 points or fewer just once in its last 35 games dating back to 2009. The Sooners rank fifth in scoring offense this season (44.7 points per game).
- Florida and Notre Dame are the only teams to beat three ranked opponents so far. The Gators are the only team this season with two wins over top-10 opponents.
- Notre Dame has allowed the fewest offensive touchdowns of any FBS team this season (five). The Irish have allowed just two in their past five games, both last week against BYU. The only other team to allow fewer than eight offensive touchdowns this season is Alabama (six).
- Manti Te'o and Bennett Jackson have four interceptions each this season. Only one duo of defenders has more combined picks: Fresno State’s Phillip Thomas (seven, leading the nation) and Derron Smith (four).
- In goal-to-go situations, Notre Dame opponents have rushed it 13 times and have not reach the end zone. The Oklahoma offense has rushed it 28 times in goal-to-go situations and has scored 15 times (53.6 percent). Of the 44 teams with at least 25 runs in goal-to-go situations, Oklahoma is third, trailing Oklahoma State (56 percent) and Louisiana Tech (56.3).
- Notre Dame has allowed opponents to score on 16.9 percent of their drives this season, the third-lowest percentage in the nation. Just 7.2 percent of opponents’ possessions have ended in touchdowns, the lowest percentage in the country. Notre Dame is the only team in the nation that has not allowed a touchdown drive longer than 75 yards.
- Notre Dame has allowed a touchdown on 21.1 percent of its opponents’ red zone drives this season, the lowest percentage in the last nine seasons. Its opponents have more turnovers (5) than touchdowns (4) in 19 red-zone drives.
- Landry Jones improved his completion percentage on throws of 20 yards or more in his sophomore and junior seasons but has regressed this season, completing 9 of 32 attempts with two touchdowns. He completed more than half of his 20-yard throws for the first time this season last week against Kansas, but entered that game with 11 straight incompletions on the same passes.
- Jones has attempted 13 percent of his passes from outside the pocket in his career and has thrown 27.3 percent of his career interceptions from outside the pocket.
TOP 25 SCOREBOARD
6:00 PM ET 21 Texas A&M 9 South Carolina 8:00 PM ET Boise State 18 Ole Miss 10:30 PM ET Weber State 19 Arizona State
8:00 PM ET 1 Florida State Oklahoma State 3:30 PM ET West Virginia 2 Alabama 10:30 PM ET South Dakota 3 Oregon 7:00 PM ET Louisiana Tech 4 Oklahoma 12:00 PM ET 5 Ohio State Navy 4:00 PM ET Arkansas 6 Auburn 12:00 PM ET 7 UCLA Virginia 4:00 PM ET UC Davis 11 Stanford 5:30 PM ET 16 Clemson 12 Georgia 9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU 7:30 PM ET Fresno State 15 USC 3:30 PM ET Rice 17 Notre Dame 7:10 PM ET Stephen F. Austin 20 Kansas State 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic 22 Nebraska 6:00 PM ET Liberty 23 North Carolina 3:30 PM ET South Dakota State 24 Missouri 10:30 PM ET 25 Washington Hawaii