Monday, May 12, 2014
A look at the B1G's free-agent signings
By Adam Rittenberg
Thirty Big Ten players heard their names called during the 2014 NFL draft, but many others received phone calls immediately after the event. The undrafted free-agent carousel is spinning, and players from around the Big Ten are hopping aboard.
Unlike the draft, the UDFA list is somewhat fluid, and other players could get picked up later today or in the coming days. To reiterate: This is not the final list.
Here's what we know right now from various announcements and media reports:
Notes: Illini OT Corey Lewis, who battled knee injuries throughout his career, told Steve Greenberg that several teams are interested in him if he's cleared by doctors.
- LB Jonathan Brown, Arizona Cardinals
- WR Ryan Lankford, Miami Dolphins
- TE Evan Wilson, Dallas Cowboys
Notes: S Greg Heban has a tryout with Chicago.
- WR Kofi Hughes, Washington Redskins
- RB Stephen Houston, New England Patriots
- LB James Morris, New England Patriots
- OT Brett Van Sloten, Baltimore Ravens
- G Conor Boffeli, Minnesota Vikings
- WR Don Shumpert, Chicago Bears
- LS Casey Kreiter, Dallas Cowboys
- LB Marcus Whitfield, Jacksonville Jaguars
- CB Isaac Goins, Miami Dolphins
- LB Cam Gordon, New England Patriots
- S Thomas Gordon, New York Giants
RB Fitzgerald Toussaint (Baltimore), DT Jibreel Black (Pittsburgh), LS Jareth Glanda (New Orleans) and DT Quinton Washington (Oakland) will have tryouts
Notes: LB Kyler Elsworth has a tryout scheduled with Washington.
- LB Denicos Allen, Carolina Panthers
- S Isaiah Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals
- T/G Dan France, Cincinnati Bengals
- WR Bennie Fowler, Denver Broncos
- LB Max Bullough, Houston Texans
- DT Tyler Hoover, Indianapolis Colts
- DT Micajah Reynolds, New Orleans Saints
- OL Fou Fonoti, San Francisco 49ers
- LB Aaron Hill, St. Louis Rams
Notes: CB Ciante Evans has yet to sign but will do so soon. DB Andrew Green has a tryout with the Miami Dolphins.
- QB Taylor Martinez, Philadelphia Eagles
- OT Brent Qvale, New York Jets
- CB Mohammed Seisay, Detroit Lions
- DE Jason Ankrah, Houston Texans
- C Cole Pensick, Kansas City Chiefs
- OT Jeremiah Sirles, San Diego Chargers
- WR Kain Colter, Minnesota Vikings
- K Jeff Budzien, Jacksonville Jaguars
- WR Rashad Lawrence, Washington Redskins
- DE Tyler Scott, Minnesota Vikings
- S C.J. Barnett, New York Giants
- K Drew Basil, Atlanta Falcons
- WR Corey Brown, Carolina Panthers
- G Andrew Norwell, Carolina Panthers
- G Marcus Hall, Indianapolis Colts
- WR Chris Fields, Washington Redskins
Notes: OT Adam Gress will have a tryout with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- OT Garry Gilliam, Seattle Seahawks
- LB Glenn Carson, Arizona Cardinals
- S Malcolm Willis, San Diego Chargers
Notes: P Cody Webster will have a tryout with Pittsburgh.
- DE Greg Latta, Denver Broncos
- S Rob Henry, Oakland Raiders
- G Devin Smith, San Diego Chargers
- DT Bruce Gaston Jr., Arizona Cardinals
Notes: According to Dan Duggan, DE Jamil Merrell (Bears) and G Antwan Lowery (Baltimore) will have tryouts.
- WR Brandon Coleman, New Orleans Saints
- WR Quron Pratt, Philadelphia Eagles
- LB Jamal Merrell, Tennessee Titans
- DE Marcus Thompson, Miami Dolphins
- S Jeremy Deering, New England Patriots
Quick thoughts: Martinez's future as an NFL quarterback has been heavily scrutinized, but Chip Kelly's Eagles are a fascinating destination for him. Whether he plays quarterback or another position like safety, Kelly will explore ways to use Martinez's speed. ... The large Michigan State contingent is still a bit startling. The Spartans dominated the Big Ten, beat Stanford in the Rose Bowl, use pro-style systems on both sides of the ball and had just one player drafted. Bullough, Allen and Lewis all were multiple All-Big Ten selections but will have to continue their careers through the UDFA route. ... Colter certainly looked like a draft pick during Senior Bowl practices in January, but that was before his ankle surgery and his role in leading the unionization push at Northwestern. I tend to think the injury impacted his status more, but NFL teams have been known to shy away from so-called locker-room lawyers. ... Other Big Ten standouts like Jonathan Brown, Morris and Pedersen were surprisingly not drafted. Morris should be a great fit in New England. ... Coleman's decision to leave Rutgers early looks questionable now that he didn't get drafted.
- G/T Ryan Groy, Chicago Bears
- TE Jacob Pedersen Atlanta Falcons
- TE Brian Wozniak, Atlanta Falcons
- DE Ethan Hemer, Pittsburgh Steelers