Friday, October 19, 2012
Notre Dame Week 8: Did you know?
By Matt Fortuna
Thanks to ESPN Stats & Info, along with both schools' sports information departments, for these nuggets.
- Notre Dame has allowed the fewest offensive touchdowns of any FBS team this season (three). Alabama is next with five.
- The Irish have allowed their opponents to score a touchdown on just 2 of 16 red zone drives this season. The Irish have not allowed a red zone touchdown since Week 2 vs. Purdue. Their 12.5 red zone touchdown percentage is the lowest for any team since the start of 2004.
- Notre Dame has not allowed a rushing touchdown in its past eight games, dating back to last season.
- BYU’s last victory over a top-five team came in 2009 against No. 3 Oklahoma, a 14-13 victory in Dallas. But the only time the Cougars won a true road game against a top-five team was their national title season in 1984, when they upset No. 3 Pitt.
- The Cougars are No. 7 in scoring defense, fifth in yards allowed per game, third in rushing defense, 13th in sacks and 13th in tackles for loss.
- When tied or trailing this season, Tommy Rees is 7 of 10 for 78 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions.