Friday, March 8, 2013
Big East seeking $2.5M from Irish
By Matt Fortuna
The Big East is seeking at least $2.5 million from Notre Dame to allow the Fighting Irish to leave and join the ACC on July 1, a source told ESPN.
With the official departure of the Catholic 7 schools, Notre Dame wants to move to the ACC this summer. Sources told ESPN that the ACC would allow Notre Dame to join on July 1 if it could get out of the Big East.
Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick could not immediately be reached for comment. The ACC declined comment about Notre Dame on Friday afternoon.
Big East by-laws require schools to provide 27 months notice before leaving, so Notre Dame can't depart the league until 2015 without negotiating an earlier exit.
The Big East previously offered Notre Dame the chance at an earlier exit if the Fighting Irish would schedule future football games against Big East opponents, sources said.