Chicago Colleges: Mitch Ewald
September, 26, 2013
By Austin Ward | ESPNChicago.com
Welcome back, Ron Swanson.
- Braxton Miller will "probably start" for Ohio State after missing the last two games and almost all of a third. Bradley Roby took some exception to all the praise about Wisconsin as Big Ten royalty. The absence of Bret Bielema has softened some of the hatred in a competitive series, Kyle Rowland writes.
- Chris Borland is looking to make an impression in his home state. Badgers defensive coordinator Dave Aranda sought out some help to prepare for the Buckeyes. Wisconsin is trying to find a role for Tanner McEvoy, and it might just come on defense this week at Ohio State.
- Penn State players are pleased about the positive developments for the future of the program, but right now the focus is on the present. So, how long will Bill O'Brien stick around with the program now, Bob Flounders asks.
- Minnesota quarterback Philip Nelson is improving, but his status is still uncertain for the team's Big Ten opener against Iowa. Ben Lauer has grown two more inches since the Gophers started recruiting the left tackle, but it still might be hard to believe he was ever overlooked at his size.
- Iowa is finding big plays in a variety of different areas, sparking a much more entertaining start to the season. Kirk Ferentz and the Hawkeyes can relate to what Minnesota coach Jerry Kill is going through.
- An American board the International Space Station played football at Illinois and finished his career as a captain. The Monheim family is tough to miss at Illinois games, and Mason Monheim is making an impression on the field as well.
- Northwestern quarterback Kain Colter weighs in on the "All Players United" movement, and Pat Fitzgerald doesn't appear to be a fan. Taking stock of the Wildcats during the bye week.
- Michigan is going to give Fitzgerald Toussaint some rest this week and work in a few younger backs to the rotation during the bye. Brady Hoke is stressing the need for Devin Gardner to stop trying to be "Superman."
- Connor Cook has a chance to prove he can be resilient at quarterback for Michigan State. After no shortage of success with quarterbacks, how did the Spartans get in their current situation?
- Most of the Purdue coaching staff is familiar with Jordan Lynch and Northern Illinois after taking him on last season at Kent State. The Huskies can return the favor by noting some similarities between Kent State and Purdue.
- Nebraska has gone back to basics on defense, and Bo Pelini is seeing improvement during the bye week. Those who have been around quarterback Tommy Armstrong aren't surprised with his quick success.
- Indiana kicker Mitch Ewald is making a run at a significant school record.
BACK TO TOP
TOP 25 SCOREBOARD
2:00 PM ET Washington State Colorado State 3:30 PM ET 20 Fresno State 25 USC 5:30 PM ET Buffalo San Diego State 9:00 PM ET Tulane Louisiana-Lafayette
6:00 PM ET Pittsburgh Bowling Green 9:30 PM ET Utah State 23 Northern Illinois
2:30 PM ET Marshall Maryland 6:00 PM ET Syracuse Minnesota 9:30 PM ET Brigham Young Washington
12:00 PM ET Rutgers Notre Dame 3:20 PM ET Cincinnati North Carolina 6:45 PM ET Miami (FL) 18 Louisville 10:15 PM ET Michigan Kansas State
11:45 AM ET Middle Tennessee Navy 3:15 PM ET Ole Miss Georgia Tech 6:45 PM ET 10 Oregon Texas 10:15 PM ET 14 Arizona State Texas Tech
12:30 PM ET Arizona Boston College 2:00 PM ET Virginia Tech 17 UCLA 4:00 PM ET Rice Mississippi State 8:00 PM ET 24 Duke 21 Texas A&M
12:00 PM ET Nebraska 22 Georgia 12:00 PM ET UNLV North Texas 1:00 PM ET Iowa 16 LSU 1:00 PM ET 19 Wisconsin 9 South Carolina 5:00 PM ET 5 Stanford 4 Michigan State 8:30 PM ET 15 UCF 6 Baylor
7:30 PM ET 13 Oklahoma State 8 Missouri 8:30 PM ET 12 Clemson 7 Ohio State