Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Cubs tell two more they're out
By Jesse Rogers
MESA, Ariz. -- The Chicago Cubs unofficially trimmed their roster by two on Tuesday, informing pitcher Zach Putnam and infielder Alberto Gonzalez they wouldn’t be making the 25-man roster.
Both players will stay with the team through the end of the exhibition season, which concludes on Saturday in Houston. The moves mean Cory Wade, lefty Hisanori Takahashi or an “outside option” will make the squad as will catcher/infielder Steve Clevenger.
Manager Dale Sveum says the front office is still scouring the waiver wire for help but nothing is imminent.
“Nope, not that they’re on the radar,” Sveum said before the Cubs played the Cincinnati Reds Tuesday night. “(Yuniesky) Betancourt went to the Brewers. Guys who are released and stuff are getting picked up right away. They wouldn’t really be fits for us anyway.”
With third baseman Ian Stewart on the disabled list to begin the season the Cubs have been looking at infield help, preferably of the left-handed variety. And with two starting pitchers on the mend, picking up a pitcher isn’t out of the question either.
“So far the only one that would have even been a thought was (Jon) Garland but he got picked up right away,” Sveum said. “I look at the transactions and from what I see there has been nothing that fits our needs.”