<
>

Westerkamp to consider late Irish offer

12/13/2011

Nebraska wide receiver recruit Jordan Westerkamp said Tuesday he will visit Notre Dame this weekend.

Westerkamp, who attends Montini High School in Lombard, Ill., has been committed to Nebraska since May. He said Notre Dame offered him last week and Irish recruiting coordinator Chuck Martin has been after him.

“They’ve been really, really hard on me,” Westerkamp said. “He told me if I commit to them right now they would take me.

“I’m still committed to Nebraska. I’m still really strong about that. I want to go out to Notre Dame and to make sure about it. I have to make the decision best for myself.”

Westerkamp, who is 6-foot-1 and 200 pounds, became Illinois’ all-time leader in career receptions (235), yards (4,584) and touchdowns (66) this season. In the state championship game, he had 12 catches for 353 yards and five touchdowns. He was the ESPNChicago.com Player of the Year.

Prior to his Notre Dame visit, Westerkamp will host Nebraska coach Bo Pelini, offensive coordinator Tim Becks and wide receivers coach Rich Fisher at his house on Thursday.

“They understand why I’m doing this,” Westerkamp said of Nebraska’s coaches. “They are all a little shocked.”

Westerkamp said he was also shocked Notre Dame offered him so late. He was recruited by the Irish last year, but they never offered him.

Westerkamp has one family member who definitely supports his decision to visit Notre Dame.

“My mom has always been a diehard Notre Dame fan,” Westerkamp said. “She definitely pulled my leg to make the visit. It’s exciting, but it’s like a business deal. I have to go to the place that is best for myself.”