Little's big game and other news, notes
The Maine South-Wheaton Warrenville South game on ESPN received much of the press in Week 2, but there was plenty of other quality football played.
Here’s a look back at the notables of the weekend.
1. Schaumburg running back Shepard Little ran for 331 yards and two touchdowns in the Saxons’ 28-6 win over Buffalo Grove.
2. South Elgin quarterback John Menken threw for 303 yards and four touchdowns and ran for 143 yards and four touchdowns in his team’s 49-26 win over Metamora.
3. Wheaton North quarterback Reece Butler threw for 315 yards and four touchdowns in his team’s win over Lincoln-Way East.
4. St. Charles North quarterback Matt Shiltz threw for 361 yards and six touchdowns in his team’s 62-49 win over McHenry. Wide receiver Josh Mikes caught six of those passes for 212 yards and four touchdowns.
5. St. Rita running back Jahwon Akui rushed for 222 yards and four touchdowns in the Mustangs’ win over Jefferson City, Mo.
1. Wheaton Warrenville South’s Caleb Bednarz had an interception and returned a kickoff for 88 yards in the Tigers’ win over Maine South.
2. Barrington safety Rob Wagner made a diving interception to seal the Broncos’ overtime win over Elk Grove.
3. Naperville North’s Dan Pinkerton blocked a punt to spark Naperville North 17-0 win against St. Charles East.
4. Mount Carmel linebacker Brian Moore had two sacks in the Caravan’s win over Lake Forest Academy.
5. Westinghouse’s Taquan Smith has six sacks in his team’s 17-14 win over Kenwood.
1. Neuqua Valley 20, Naperville Central 18: A late field goal miss gave the Wildcats their win. Trent Snyder rushed for 224 yards and two touchdowns for Neuqua Valley.
2. Wheaton North 33, Lincoln-Way East 20: Wheaton North had one of the weekend’s biggest upsets as it knocked previously-ranked No. 6 Lincoln-Way East. Quarterback Reece Butler was on fire, and John Bloss, Montrell Williams and Clemonte Dossie made key defensive play for the Falcons.
3. Barrington 30, Elk Grove 23 OT: Barrington safety Rob Wagner dove and intercepted a pass in overtime as the Broncos prevailed. Elk Grove kicker Matt Brandt sent the game into overtime with a 31-yard field goal with 2.2 seconds left.
4. Crystal Lake South 10, Bartlett 9: The Gators’ Kenny King and Joe Coriaci stopped Bartlett’s Russell Martin from scoring on a 2-point conversion with 1:18 left in the game for the win.
5. Lockport 28, Richards 21: A year after Lockport beat Richards 37-36, the Porters pulled out another close game. Daniel Holman ran for 118 yards and three touchdowns in the win.