The Class 3A and 4A boys basketball playoffs continue with sectional play this week. Here’s a glance at the top games and players to see.
Six sectional semifinals to see
1. Simeon vs. Whitney Young at Argo on Tuesday: Simeon was tested by Whitney Young when the two teams met earlier in the season at UIC.
2. Bogan vs. Marist at Argo on Wednesday: Marist is the area’s hottest team coming off its upset win over Curie. Bogan has been stellar all season.
3. Marshall vs. St. Joseph at Glenbard South on Wednesday: Both these teams are legitimate Class 3A state title contenders. Only one of them will advance.
4. Plainfield East vs. West. Aurora at East Aurora on Tuesday: Plainfield East will have to defeat the old guard of West Aurora to get out of the western suburbs.
5. Andrew vs. Homewood-Flossmoor at Lockport on Wednesday: Andrew has lived up to expectations this season while Homewood-Flossmoor hasn’t. This is a chance for redemption for Homewood-Flossmoor.
6. New Trier vs. Evanston at Glenbrook South on Tuesday: It’s always a battle when these two rivals meet. Evanston upset New Trier just last month.
Six potential sectional championships on Friday
1. Simeon vs. Bogan at Argo
2. Plainfield East vs. Downers Grove South at East Aurora
3. Bloom vs. Andrew at Lockport
4. Crane vs. Marshall at Glenbard South
5. Elgin vs. Rockford Auburn at Dundee-Crown
6. Warren vs. St. Viator at Barrington
Ten to players to see in sectional play (alphabetical order)
1. Andrew junior Jubril Adekoya: Adekoya is a beast around the basket. He’s close to a double-double every game. Andrew plays at Lockport on Wednesday.
2. New Trier senior Connor Boehm: Boehm is a great high school basketball player. He scores. He rebounds. He makes good decisions. New Trier plays at Glenbrook South on Tuesday.
3. & 4. Warren seniors Nathan Booth and Darius Paul: It’s not fair to single one of them out. Both players are versatile big men. They do a lot of everything for Warren. The Blue Devils play at Barrington Tuesday.
5. Morgan Park junior Billy Garrett Jr. : Garrett Jr. is the future of the DePaul Blue Demons. His game has taken further strides this season. Morgan Park plays at Rich East on Wednesday.
6. St. Joseph senior Reggie Johnson: Johnson is fun to watch because he plays so hard. He’ll do whatever it takes for the Chargers to advance. St. Joseph plays at Glenbard South on Wednesday.
7. Simeon junior Jabari Parker: Parker is the No. 1 junior in the country. Enough said. Simeon plays at Argo on Tuesday.
8. North Chicago senior Aaron Simpson: Simpson will pull up from 25 feet if he wants. He’s got a bit of Ryan Boatright in him with his size and swagger. North Chicago plays at Grayslake Central on Tuesday.
9. Rockford Auburn’s Fred Van Vleet: Van Vleet isn’t technically an area player, but he’s worth checking out at Dundee-Crown. He’s one of the best players outside the Chicago area. He’s going to Wichita State Shockers. Auburn plays at Dundee-Crown on Tuesday.
10. Downers Grove South senior Jerron Wilbut: Wilbut is the state’s top unsigned senior. He’s likely to end up a high-major school. He’s a scorer and can do so in a variety of ways. Downers Grove South plays at East Aurora on Wednesday.