- Scott Powers, Reporter
- 0 Shares
Defensive standouts Joe Zolper of Schaumburg and J.J. Raffelson of Lake Zurich headlined Week 7 in Illinois high school football. The two went on a rampage this past week.
1) Prospect quarterback Steve Dazzo ran for four touchdowns and threw for two more in the Knights’ 62-24 win over Wheeling. Between Dazzo and Elk Grove quarterback Nick Meyer, this week’s meeting between the two Mid-Suburban East teams should be interesting.
2) Homewood-Flossmoor’s Malik Norman rushed for 244 yards and three touchdowns on 29 carries in the Vikings’ 28-21 win over Lockport.
3) Glenbrook South’s Max Pompilus caught five passes for 104 yards and three touchdowns in the Titans’ 56-7 win over Niles West.
4) Cody Gillard rushed for two touchdowns and caught another to help Senn remain undefeated with a 34-6 win over Schurz.
5) Crystal Lake South quarterback Drew Ormseth was 5-of-6 passing for 112 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 122 yards and three touchdowns in the Gators’ 48-14 win over Huntley.
1) Vernon Hills’ defense is playing out of its mind. The Cougars forced seven turnovers in their 20-0 win over Grant on Friday. The Cougars have outscored their opponents 310-0 this season.
2) Schaumburg defensive tackle Joe Zolper had 5 ½ sacks in the Saxons’ 42-21 win over Conant.
3) Lake Zurich linebacker J.J. Raffelson had five sacks and a forced fumble in the Bears’ 14-0 win over Warren.
4) Plainfield South’s Ryan West intercepted three passes in his team’s 57-30 win over Oswego.
5) Kaneland’s Quinn Buschbacher and Tyler Callaghan each had an offensive touchdown and a defensive interception in the team’s 34-13 win over Yorkville.
1) Thornton 32, Lincoln-Way West 27: Wildcats quarterback Charles Knowles connected with Jamel Frazier for an eight-yard touchdown pass in the game’s final seconds for the win.
2) Bishop McNamara 28, St. Laurence 21: Theo Bradley intercepted a pass in overtime and threw the game-winning touchdown pass for the Fightin’ Irish.
3) Minooka 35, Plainfield North 34 OT: Minooka fullback Taylor Salazar scored on a two-yard run, and Jason Lizalek made the extra point to give the Indians the narrow victory.
4) Wheaton North 23, Naperville Central 21: Reece Butler hit Johnny Daniels for a 19-yard touchdown pass as time expired.
5) Fremd 17, Palatine 16: Freshman quarterback Sam Beutler threw a 37-yard touchdown pass and ran in for a two-point conversion in the second half to lift the Vikings to the victory.
Week 7 notebook: Joe Zolper and J.J. Raffelson were dominating on defense.