- Scott Powers, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
Here a look at where things stand in the race to be named ESPNChicago.com's player of the year.
1. Wheaton Warrrenville South senior quarterback Reilly O’Toole (previously ranked No. 1)Last week: O’Toole continued picking apart defenses in the Tigers’ 49-7 win over Benet in the opening round of the Class 7A playoffs. He was 10-of-12 passing for 143 yards and three touchdowns. He also rushed for 43 yards on four carries. Wheaton Warrenville South improved to 10-0.
Season: 116-of-157 passing for 2,089 yards, 32 touchdowns and one interception; two rushing touchdowns.
2. Joliet Catholic senior running back Josh Ferguson (6)
Last week: Ferguson rushed for 223 yards and three touchdowns on 14 carries in Joliet Catholic’s 49-7 win over Washington in the Class 5A playoffs. The Hilltoppers improved to 9-1.
Season: 1,585 yards and 23 touchdowns on 118 carries. He’s averaging 13.4 yards per carry.
3. Simeon junior quarterback Robert Gregory (5)
Last week: Gregory was 8 of 12 for 144 yards and one touchdown and rushed for 87 yards and two touchdowns in Simeon’s 47-0 win over St. Ignatius in the Class 7A playoffs. The Wolverines improved to 10-0.
Season: 54-of-89 passing for 1,115 yards and 15 touchdowns; 864 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns.
4. Plainfield North senior running back Kapri Bibbs (2)
Last week: Bibbs’s season ended with Plainfield North’s 51-12 loss to Glenbard West in the Class 7A playoffs. On the first play from scrimmage, he took off for an 80-yard touchdown, but Glenbard West slowed him down the rest of the day. He finished with 127 yards and one touchdown on 21 carries. He also completed 2-of-2 passes for 61 yards and a touchdown. Plainfield North fell to 7-3.
Season: 2,646 yards and 38 touchdowns on 301 carries. He averaged 8.8 yards per carry. His indivual season numbers for yards placed him 16th all-time in state history and his touchdowns put him at 14th.
5. Elk Grove senior quarterback Nick Meyer (3)
Last week: Meyer’s season ended with Elk Grove’s 38-21 loss to Schaumburg in the Class 7A playoffs. Meyer was 20-of-36 passing for 143 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions, and he rushed for 146 yards and two touchdowns on 24 carries. Elk Grove fell to 7-3.
Season: 179-of-294 passion for 2,235 yards and 20 touchdowns; 1,031 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns.