Inside pitch

May, 21, 2009
5/21/09
10:52
AM CT

Jake Peavy

Gary A. Vasquez/US Presswire

Jake Peavy's agent says the right-hander prefers the NL and is comfortable in Southern California.

The Chicago White Sox and San Diego Padres have agreed in principle to a deal that would send right-handed pitcher Jake Peavy to the South Side for left-handed pitcher Clayton Richard and former No. 1 draft pick Aaron Poreda, who is a 6-6, left-handed pitcher.

The deal is pending Peavy's approval.

"Jake called me [Wednesday] afternoon to ask about what it's like here in Chicago," said Sox reliever Scott Linebrink, who was a teammate of Peavy's on the Padres. "I think he's ready to move on, but I can't tell you for sure he's going to accept the deal. Losing 100 games, like they did last year, wears on a player.

"Right now, I'd say it's 50-50 as to whether he accepts it or not. He'll get with his family today and make a decision."

The Padres have been trying to trade Peavy and his contract, which could be worth $84 million, since last November. The Chicago Cubs were the main suitor, but on Dec. 6 at the Winter Meetings in Las Vegas, they backed out of a deal that would have sent upwards of five players to San Diego.

Other teams have been interested Peavy, but Peavy has told the Padres on numerous occasions that he wanted to stay in the National League, and there were only three places he would go. The three placesup until now were the Cubs, Atlanta Braves and the Houston Astros. The Braves and Astros had long negotiations with the Padres but were unable to come up with a suitable deal for both sides.

Peavy, the Cy YoungAward winner in 2007, was shut down at the end of 2008 with some shoulder problems.

Williams mum on coaches

May, 20, 2009
5/20/09
9:41
PM CT

White Sox general manager Kenny Williams made it clear on Wednesday that he's not ready to comment on the fate of his coaching staff at this point.

It has been speculated since spring training that the White Sox coaches were all getting extensions. Bench coach Joey Cora, hitting coach Greg Walker and first base coach Harold Baines all are ending 3-year contracts that expire after the 2009 season.

I asked Williams what was happening with his staff and when he would deal with his coaches' contracts. "It's nobody's business," Williams said. "I've had my conversations with coaches. It was reported inaccurately by somebody but Ozzie Guillen maintains control of his coaching staff. [I ask] him who he wants back, and what's his assessment of each and every one of them, then I take over from that point."

The White Sox always balk at reporters trying to scoop the team on personnel decisions. In this case, with the team struggling to score runs, the focus once again seemed to go on hitting coach Greg Walker.

"I'm not making any announcements [on the coaches]," Williams said. "I don't see any reason to make announcements on coaches' contracts, the same way as I don't make any announcements on my contract. That way there's never a coach's contract watch."

I asked Williams about the continuity of his staff and how important that was to him. "It's as important as it was when they were hired in the beginning," he said. "You can't always judge the coach by the player's success. You have to make sure you're getting the right information in the right type of manner to the players and some will achieve, and some will let you down. But ultimately, it's the players that will keep us all working here."

Then Williams gave his most compelling comment of the day: "I certainly can distinguish between players' success and failure based on what information [a coach] is or isn't giving them."

At that point in the conversation, I became busy trying to figure out why this decision was such a difficult task. All of Guillen's coaches are loyal, hard-working baseball men. However, finding out if players like Josh Fields, Chris Getz or Alexei Ramirez will hit better with another instructor is probably the reason the team is hesitating to talk about re-upping the coaches. Maybe the answer is better talent at certain positions rather than instruction.

Watch White Sox front office

May, 19, 2009
5/19/09
9:32
PM CT

Start watching for some trends from the White Sox front office if the team's offense continues to sputter.

The fact that third baseman Josh Fields, shortstop Alexei Ramirez and second baseman Chris Getz aren't hitting might encourage general manager Kenny Williams to change his mind on when to accelerate the baseball education of the team's No. 1 pick from 2008, Gordon Beckham.


The Georgia product impressed everyone who watched him in spring training, both on the field and in the clubhouse. Just lockering next to catcher A.J. Pierzynski was a great education for Beckham during the six weeks of exhibition baseball. If you're a White Sox fan and watching this situation develop, keep your eye on whether or not the team switches Beckham to third base at Triple-A Charlotte.

If they do that, then the timeline might pick up on when Beckham joins the team, possibly in place of the struggling Fields.


The organization has been adamant about keeping Beckham in the minor leagues for at least one more year of seasoning. That plan could change if the team's offense doesn't surge over the next couple of weeks.

Dye ruling to be sent down today

May, 15, 2009
5/15/09
12:23
PM CT

Major League Baseball is expected to announce its penalty for Jermaine Dye's altercation with umpire Mike DiMuro Wednesday in Cleveland.

DiMuro called Dye out on strikes with the bases loaded in the sixth inning. Dye flipped his bat, argued with DiMuro and slammed is helmet on the ground en route to being ejected from the game. But the situation was complicated when the helmet bounced off the ground and hit DiMuro. Baseball will rule whether Dye's actions warrant a fine, suspension or both.

On the mend

May, 13, 2009
5/13/09
10:48
AM CT

White Sox left fielder Carlos Quentin hopes to return to the starting lineup Friday after suffering with a left heel injury.

Quentin told the White Sox training staff that he had been bothered by the heel for three or four days before finally sitting out Wednesday's game in Cleveland.

The Tribune reported today that Quentin was to receive a cortisone shot in his ailing heel. Recovering from a cortisone shot usually takes players upwards of three days in order for the swelling to go down and the medication to fully take effect.

One hour before the game today, Quentin still was in the training room and unavailable for comment.

A White Sox source told ESPNChicago.com that Quentin will be able to pinch-hit today and hopefully be ready to start Friday's game.

According to a White Sox source, Quentin said he hurt the heel when he was a designated hitter on April 28 against Seattle. The source said Quentin feels better.

He gone

May, 11, 2009
5/11/09
2:04
PM CT

After clearing waivers, the White Sox sent veteran right-handed pitcher Jose Contreras to the minor leagues to work out his difficulty with his command.

According to sources close to the situation, Contreras was the one who suggested that he goes to the minors instead of being relegated to the bullpen.

In the meantime, the Sox have called up left-handed pitcher Jimmy Gobble from Class AAA Charlotte to plug into the bullpen. Left-handed pitcher Clayton Richard will start Tuesday night's game in Cleveland and become the temporary replacement for Contreras.

Contreras had to clear waivers, which meant all 29 teams had 48 hours to claim him and his $8 million-plus contract that remains from the original $11 million deal.

Contreras will work on his split-fingered pitch, which he has not been able to command, in particular against left-handed hitters this season.

Honesty maybe wasn't best policy

May, 11, 2009
5/11/09
11:40
AM CT

Some problems surely will follow White Sox closer Bobby Jenks' comments that he purposely threw behind Texas Rangers leadoff man Ian Kinsler on Saturday night with two outs in the ninth. The fact that Jenks didn't hit Kinsler, although pertinent to the issue, won't deter MLB director of discipline Bob Watson from looking into the umpire's report and film of the incident.

An MLB spokesman said the situation is being examined.

If Jenks gets suspended and/or fined, he really won't have any basis for an appeal since he already admitted publicly that the pitch was intended to send a message that his team won't let its hitters get hit without retaliation.

In the hit-by-pitch department, the totals are six Sox hitters hit, one Ranger hit and one thrown behind with purpose.

Jenks gets admiration from his teammates for standing up for them, but admitting that he threw behind Kinsler will cost him some cash or maybe a day or two off.

Off the record, some players admitted to me that it's about time they got even for so many of their players getting plunked. One player, though, cautioned that in close games like the ones the Sox have been playing, the time and place for getting even was under question.

In the case of Carlos Quentin, getting hit by pitches often is the case of him standing on top of the plate and leaning over.

If I were a major league ballplayer, I'd want 24 teammates like the stand-up player Bobby Jenks is. However, this time around, Jenks' honesty will more than likely not end up being the best policy after Watson & Co. get through slicing and dicing his fate.

Sox to send Contreras to minors

May, 10, 2009
5/10/09
1:30
PM CT

Pitching coach Don Cooper said on the White Sox pregame show that the team is prepared to send right-hander Jose Contreras to the minor leagues. Contreras (0-5, 8.19 ERA) has struggled with his command, in particular with his forkball.


Any player with six or more years in the Major leagues has the right to refuse an assignment, and therefore could declare free agency. According to White Sox sources, Contreras wants to go to the minors to work on his command, and so will accept the assignment and sign a personal waiver.


Contreras must also clear waivers, which means that all other 29 teams have an opportunity to pick up Contreras and his $11 million contract. That's the reason why no team in baseball is likely to pick him up at this point, because they would have to assume the responsibility of the rest of the contract.


Once the White Sox put con on waivers, it takes 48 hours for him to clear before they can send him on assignment.

Before Saturday's game in a closed door meeting, that included: general manager Kenny Williams, manager Ozzie Guillen; assistant general manager Rick Hahnl; pitching coach Don Cooper and Jose Contreras, the future of the White Sox's failed starting pitcher was discussed.

A likely scenario is that that team may put Contreras on the disabled list while he continues to build strength in his pitching arm under the tutelage of the White Sox coaching staff. A second scenario would have Contreras take a minor league assignment in hopes of improving his overall command of his pitches under less stressful situations than big-league competition.

Contreras has had trouble locating his pitches, especially against left-handed hitters. The veteran Cuban pitcher has not been able to command his split finger pitch, which is a key to his success. In the meeting that followed the Contreras meeting, White Sox management was trying to decide who will replace Contreras in the rotation. Left-hander Clayton Richard could get the assignment on Wednesday when Contreras' spot opens up.

"Pods" wants his number back

May, 6, 2009
5/06/09
7:59
PM CT

With the return of Scott Podsednik to the Chicago White Sox, the veteran outfielder is trying to get his No. 22 back, which is presently being worn by third baseman Josh Fields.

Podsednik is trying to broker a deal with Fields. In fact, on the nameplate above Podsednik's locker appears the No. 22. As you walk though the clubhouse and get to Fields' locker, you find that the No. 7 is next to his name.

"Scott has talked to me about taking another number," Fields said. "We haven't finished our negotiations yet, but I'm willing to do something for him."

When asked about the No. 7 above his locker, Fields said, "Well, No. 7 is a good number. Mickey Mantle was from Oklahoma and so am I, so that would be a good number to pick."

When I talked to Podsednik about the deal, he said that Fields was being very nice about it, and that he had to find some way of compensating him. Podsednik told me he would either take care of Fields or find something nice to get for Fields' wife. "Pods" also told me that he is also on call at home because his wife, Lisa, is due any moment to deliver their first child.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

TEAM LEADERS

BA LEADER
Alexei Ramirez
BA HR RBI R
.292 1 4 9
OTHER LEADERS
HRA. Rios 6
RBIP. Konerko 15
RA. De Aza 17
OPSA. Rios .822
WJ. Peavy 3
ERAJ. Peavy 3.38
SOJ. Peavy 39