Tuesday, February 12, 2013
GM: No restrictions for Sale in 2013
By Bruce Levine
Chris Sale won't be faced with workload restrictions in his second season as a starter.
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Chicago White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said Tuesday there will be no restrictions on the workload for second-year starter Chris Sale.
"Last year was a success as far as building his innings and being able to respond and communicate with him on our plan," Hahn said. "We enter this year like he is any other starter. Our intention is to send him out there without restriction."
Sale, who will be 24 in March, was rested an extra start three times last season after suffering an elbow strain in late May during his first season as a starter. He went 17-8 with a 3.05 ERA, fourth-best in the AL, striking out 192 in 192 innings.
Sale reported to Sox camp on Tuesday 15 pounds heavier to better deal with the rigors of a full season.
"I hope (the extra weight) helps," Sale said. "I don't think it is a main or deciding factor, but I hope it will help maintain some strength and get (me) farther through the season than I did."
Despite leading the team in almost every pitching category, Sale defers to Jake Peavy when it comes to an Opening Day start, although he would love to get the call.
"That would be crazy," Sale said of an Opening Day assignment. "I would be kind of speechless if it came to that. If there is anyone that deserves it it is Peavy. He has the resume to do it, and we all have our faith and trust in him. I think he is our guy."
Peavy, who signed a two-year, $29 million deal in the offseason, doesn't see it that way.
"Chris has the best stuff on this staff, and he won the most games so I think any of the three of us (Peavy, Sale or John Danks) would be fine," Peavy said.