Stock Watch: Kane keeps producing
November, 25, 2013
By Scott Powers
AP Photo/Nam Y. HuhDuncan Keith leads the Hawks with 17 assists, but Jeremy Morin is struggling to get ice time.
1. Patrick Kane, forward: Kane is riding the second-longest points streak of his career. He’s recorded a point in each of the Blackhawks’ last 10 games. His longest streak was 11 games during the 2009-10 season. He also had two nine-game points streaks during that season. He’s had five goals and nine assists during his current streak.
2. Duncan Keith, defenseman: Keith extended his assists streak to three games with one against the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday. Keith leads the Blackhawks with 17 assists and an average of 24:06 in ice time. He is tied for first among all NHL defensemen with 17 assists and is tied for fourth with 18 points.
3. Marcus Kruger, forward: Kruger has already nearly matched his points production of last season. He has 10 points in 24 points this season and had 13 points in 47 games last season. He’s recorded a point in three of the last four games. He also continues to have success at the dot. He’s won 54.6 percent of his faceoffs this season after having a 46.2 percentage last season.
1. Jeremy Morin, Blackhawks: Morin just hasn’t been able to win over Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville. Morin has been back up with the Blackhawks for two games and hasn’t received more than 7:12 of ice time. He played a season-low 4:58 against the Canucks on Saturday. He has two assists in eight games this season.
2. Penalty kill: The Blackhawks’ penalty-kill percentage dropped again over the past week. The Blackhawks went from a 73.8 percent last week to a 72.5 percent this week. The Blackhawks were 5-of-8 on the penalty kill last week. They rank 29th in penalty-kill percentage. The New York Islanders are in last place with a 70.3 percentage.