Browns links: Campbell set to start tonight
August, 29, 2013
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com
Here is a roundup of what's happening on the Cleveland Browns' beat:
- With a majority of the starters sitting out the preseason finale, backup quarterback Jason Campbell is expected to start Thursday at Chicago, according to the Akron Beacon Journal. Third-stringer Brian Hoyer figures to receive a significant amount of playing time.
- The Browns waived cornerback Trevin Wade and picked up linebacker Eric Martin off waivers from the New Orleans Saints. Wade was a seventh-round pick from last year's draft. Here's the story about the moves in the Akron Beacon Journal.
- Even though the backups will play most of the game, Vic Carucci of the team's website believes the main goal is to get out healthy. The Browns have had their share of injuries in preseason games this year: running back Dion Lewis (for the season with a broken leg), guard Jason Pinkston (into the early part of the season with a sprained ankle) and outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo (return unknown with a bruised lung).
- After losing backups Lewis and Montario Hardesty, the Browns running game rides more than ever on Trent Richardson staying healthy, ESPN Radio in Cleveland writes.
- There's another trucking company that is suing Browns owner Jimmy Haslam's family company for defrauding it out of fuel rebates, The Plain Dealer reports. Pilot Flying J, has been sued more than two dozen times involving a rebate program that is the focus of a federal investigation. Is it me, or does it seem like there have been more than two dozen suits?