- Andy Katz, ESPN.com Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
1. Kentucky coach John Calipari said the Wildcats aren’t where they need to be at this stage in the season, especially with Louisville on deck Saturday. “We’ve got a ways to go,’’ Calipari said. “I would have hoped in the (Lamar) game we would have shown improvement. We’re not executing the way we need to be right now. Indiana executed better than us. Louisville can be that same kind of team.’’ The players that Calipari knows will likely produce on a given night are Anthony Davis (on the defensive end) and Doron Lamb and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (on the offensive end).
2. Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said Travon Woodall probably shouldn’t have played at Notre Dame. Dixon said Woodall wasn’t ready to return from the groin injury that kept him out of the previous six games; he went 0-for-5 in the loss to the Irish. Meanwhile, Dixon said the Panthers saw defensive slippage in the defeat, something that must be corrected before the Panthers host Cincinnati on Sunday.
3. Saint Joseph’s still won’t release graduate student Todd O’Brien to play at UAB, a likely requirement for him to get a waiver that has been denied twice. The NCAA responded to the inaction, through spokesperson Erik Christianson: “It is extremely rare for an NCAA member to oppose a student-athlete transfer, and St. Joseph’s opposition was an important factor in both the NCAA staff’s and the independent Division I Subcommittee for Legislative Relief’s review of this waiver request. The Subcommittee also spoke directly with Mr. O’Brien, UAB representatives and Mr. O’Brien’s legal counsel as part of the appeal process. These decisions are never easy, and the Subcommittee’s final determination was based on all facts and views presented.”
1. Kentucky coach John Calipari said the Wildcats aren’t where they need to be at this stage in the season, especially with Louisville on deck Saturday.