- Andy Katz, ESPN Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
1. Arizona coach Sean Miller needed to ensure that Xavier transfer Mark Lyons had a smooth transition. Well, he will find out sooner than later. The Wildcats are going to the Bahamas on Aug. 9 and will practice 10 times before the trip. Lyons has to prove to the staff, the returning players and a top five recruiting class that he can be a true leader. A number of other teams are taking trips, but I'm not sure there is a player that has to show his ability to be a trusted teammate as much as Lyons does on this trip.
2. The NCAA men's basketball selection committee nominated Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman to succeed Xavier AD Mike Bobinski as chair of the 2014 tournament. Wellman has taken plenty of criticism for his handling of coach Dino Gaudio's firing, and rightfully so. The state of the basketball program is in flux, at least in the win column, despite what coach Jeff Bzdelik says. The naming of Wellman comes at an opportune time. He needs to improve his national profile. He has been accessible to the media and most importantly he will need to continue to be open and transparent of the process.
3. Pitt is still trying fill a major home date after not getting an expected home game in the Big East-SEC Challenge. The Panthers would be wise to lock in a home game with Horizon League favorite Valparaiso. There have been talks between the two and Pitt may not get a better RPI game on the nonconference home schedule.
1. Arizona coach Sean Miller needed to ensure that Xavier transfer Mark Lyons had a smooth transition. Well, he will find out sooner than later. The Wildcats are going to the Bahamas on Aug.