- Andy Katz, ESPN Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
1. Mike Marra’s season/career-ending ACL injury at Louisville won’t have a dramatic effect on the potential Final Four Cardinals. Injuries had prevented Marra from having a dominant impact on the team over the course of the past year. Marra could hit situational shots, but Louisville coach Rick Pitino said the Cardinals aren’t going to be a team defined by making 3s. Pitino said Sunday the Cards probably will only make six-to-seven a game (that’s still pretty good) with the best shooter on the squad in Luke Hancock. Kevin Ware and Peyton Siva have improved quite a bit, too. The Cardinals will miss Marra’s on-court enthusiasm but clearly they will survive his absence.
2. Expect Texas Tech to make a decision some time this week on whether acting interim coach Chris Walker gets to replace head coach Billy Gillispie for the season. A decision could come as early as Tuesday. Walker has kept a low profile and while there isn’t a gag order from the staff and players, the consensus is to keep things quiet while athletic director Kirby Hocutt decides whether to stay inside or go outside for a new coach to lead the Red Raiders during the 2012-13 season.
3. Old Dominion coach Blaine Taylor isn’t seeing any effects of the pending move to Conference USA in 2013 on the recruiting trail. He’s not worried, though, considering the Monarchs tend to land who they will, regardless of conference affiliation. But what Taylor did do to combat the Colonial Athletic Association’s decision to uphold the bylaw and prevent ODU from playing in the conference tournament was to upgrade the non-conference schedule. The last three games the Monarchs added were VCU, Murray State and College of Charleston. “It’s a helluva of a challenge for one of my youngest teams," said Taylor. ODU would need all the help it can get to be in in position for an at-large bid without the benefit of the automatic qualification out of the CAA tourney.
1. Mike Marra’s season/career-ending ACL injury at Louisville won’t have a dramatic effect on the potential Final Four Cardinals. Injuries had prevented Marra from having a dominant impact on the team over the course of the past year.