- Andy Katz, ESPN.com Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
1. San Diego State averted a major scheduling crisis when it was announced its marquee matchup against Syracuse on Nov. 9 aboard the USS Midway was on after a San Diego Union-Tribune report said the game was in question. The Aztecs do have a challenging schedule with games at USC and against UCLA at the Wooden Classic in Anaheim. And the Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu could pit SDSU against possible bubble Ole Miss and projected Pac-12 champ Arizona. But the Syracuse game was the game on the schedule and in San Diego, even if it’s not at Viejas Arena. Colorado State proved last season that a team can get into the NCAAs by how well it plays at home in the Mountain West without high-profile non-conference wins. The Aztecs can’t rely solely on the MWC. The Syracuse game will be a huge boost to SDSU’s power rating win or lose. This also has a chance to be one of the more intriguing non-conference games in the first two weeks of the season. Losing it would have hurt the Aztecs (more than the Orange who will have plenty of RPI pop in the Big East) and taken a bit of bang out of the opening weekend.
2. Dayton coach Archie Miller coached against Xavier and Mark Lyons last season and is anticipating that his brother, Arizona coach Sean Miller, is getting quite an impact player. “He’s a winner,’’ said Miller of the Xavier transfer who is eligible immediately. “He’s a nasty competitor. They’re getting a first-team all-conference, Pac-12 player. He’ll be one of the best guards in the conference. He’s got a chance to be a 15-points or more a game player. It was a dramatic change once he arrived. He was a nightmare to prepare for at Xavier. Lucky (Sean Miller).’’
3. If you’re looking for a sleeper on VCU's squad then check out Treveon Graham. VCU coach Shaka Smart said he’s ready to increase his production after a seven-point a game effort last season. The Rams need a bit more scoring pop with the departure of Bradford Burgess. The Rams are down on numbers after two freshmen, Mo Alie-Cox and Jordan Burgess, weren’t cleared to play.
1. San Diego State averted a major scheduling crisis when it was announced its marquee matchup against Syracuse on Nov. 9 aboard the USS Midway was on after a San Diego Union-Tribune report said the game was in question.