- Andy Katz, ESPN.com Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
1. Xavier transfer Dez Wells has been quite a hit for his new Maryland teammates. Wells is currently practicing with the Terps, but is awaiting a waiver to play immediately for Maryland after being dismissed at Xavier for a violation of the student code of conduct. Wells is NCAA eligible, but under normal rules would have to sit out the season because of transferring. Maryland has sent the waiver to the NCAA, which sent it to Xavier. Xavier officials told ESPN.com last month that the Musketeers wouldn’t fight Wells playing immediately. Wednesday at ACC media day, Maryland’s Nick Faust -- on the possibility of Wells being eligible -- said, “it makes us very stacked at guard. He’s a great talented guy that could really help us if he can play right away."
2. I’m not surprised Davidson is staying put in the Southern Conference instead of going to the Colonial Athletic Association, according to ESPN’s Brett McMurphy. Davidson coach Bob McKillop told me earlier in the summer how important it was for the Wildcats to be in a conference where travel was not as much of an issue. McKillop knows where he fits and is highly successful. Davidson clearly understands this as well. The Wildcats can win or compete for the Southern title every year. That might have been the case in the CAA, too. But there was no need for change, especially since Davidson wasn’t bumping up to a multiple bid league like the A-10. Next to make a move or stay is the College of Charleston.
3. I still don’t get why Cincinnati wasn’t getting the necessary respect in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches poll released Wednesday. The Bearcats weren’t in the Top 25, falling three spots out. Meanwhile, no A-10 teams were in the preseason poll, though, Saint Louis, VCU, Butler and Saint Joseph’s received votes. That’s probably indicative of the season the A-10 will have in 2013. The A-10 will be as strong as it has been from 25 to 35. The league may not have an elite team but could have five to six teams vying for bids in early March.
1. Xavier transfer Dez Wells has been quite a hit for his new Maryland teammates. Wells is currently practicing with the Terps, but is awaiting a waiver to play immediately for Maryland after being dismissed at Xavier for a violation of the student code of conduct.