Halftime: Xavier 37, Richmond 33
March, 13, 2010
By David Albright | ESPN.com
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- Some quick halftime thoughts as No. 2 Xavier (24-7) and No. 3 Richmond (25-7) play in the second Atlantic-10 semifinal. The winner faces No. 1 Temple tomorrow (1 p.m. ET) at Boardwalk Hall for the conference championship.
- This would be a great best-of-seven series. The first meeting went double-overtime last month in Cincinnati. And if the first half today is any indication, this one should go down the wire too.
- It's another one of those big boy games. Just like Xavier's slugfest with Dayton last night, the Musketeers like to play a physical brand of basketball and should provide challenges for whomever they draw in the NCAA tournament.
- The first half saw the score tied five times and four lead changes. The largest lead by either team was Xavier's 37-31 late in the opening 20 minutes.
- Xavier's defense is the ever-so-slight difference so far as the Musketeers have limited Richmond to just 11-for-33 from the floor, while XU is shooting 13 of 27 (.481) so far -- thanks in part to 20 to 12 points-in-the-paint advantage.
- Richmond's David Gonzalvez leads all scorers with 16 points (9 of 10 FTs). Xavier doesn't have anybody in double figures but four players have scored at least six points.